3M 5200 for ski bindings? (Yeah, it's a weird question)

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

3M 5200 for ski bindings? (Yeah, it's a weird question)

Post by Joe Myerson »

Okay, this isn't strictly a Cape Dory question, but I thought I'd pose it as I watch the snow piling up outside:

One of the binding screws on my trusty old pair of Karhu Kodiak cross-country skiis is coming loose, after more than 20 years of rough treatment. (The bindings are Rotafella Super Telemark bindings.)

Does anybody on this board have an opinion on whether I could rebed the screw, and binding, with 3M 5200?

It's a crazy question, I know, but what's a sailor to do in this kind of weather?
David van den Burgh

Joe

Post by David van den Burgh »

Why not fill the hole with epoxy and redrill?

David
dasein668

Post by dasein668 »

David is right. I used to work in a ski repair shop and that is standard practice in many shops.
Nathan Sanborn
Dasein, Pearson Triton 668
dasein668.com
Joe Myerson

Epoxy it is (obviously)

Post by Joe Myerson »

Thanks for the responses.

If I thought about it, I'd have known the answer, but I was being kind of lazy. I've got some 5200 here on hand, but I'm currently out of epoxy.

BTW, I just got back from skiing with my newer, waxless, skiis, and the snow is sticky but good. But now it's time for it to go AWAY!

Post by Guest »

Now is the time to go to South America to continue the ski season! Only got 35 days this year.

More, more, I'm still not satisfied!
Joe Myerson

Well, I guess I could try New Zealand

Post by Joe Myerson »

Actually, if I had the wherewithall, I'd rather try New Zealand for Southern Hemisphere skiing, because there's also lots of great sailing.

Since I'm stuck where I am, I'll enjoy the snow while it's here, but I can't wait for it to melt. Then it's off with the boat's cover, on with the Cetol and, finally, into the water!
Bill Michne

Post by Bill Michne »

I've never used 5200 on skis. However, I used it once for an application inside my icebox. It seemed OK at the start, but failed within two weeks. I take that to mean that 5200 is not appropriate for any kind of mechanically stressful cold weather application. I'd go the epoxy route...cheaper than orthopedic surgery.
Bill Michne
s/v Mintaka, CD 40
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

:D When there is still snow covering my Typhoon all I can do is go skiing - really great up here in Vermont - lots of the white stuff - water is still hard so its tough to think of sailing!
Doug Oliver
Bucks Harbor, Maine

Post by Doug Oliver »

The Kodiak is a foam core ski and the epoxy doesn't have something substantial to grab on. It may hold for a while but when it fails the screw won't come loose from the epoxy but the glob of epoxy will come out in one piece. A more permanent fix would be a nylon helicoil. For a ski shop with the right bits and inserts, it should be about a $3 repair.

In Maine it looks like we might have some of the best spring skiing we've seen in years. On the other hand, last Sunday I was trying to scrape bottom paint while standing in 3 feet of snow.
Doug Oliver
Bucks Harbor, Maine

Post by Doug Oliver »

The Kodiak is a foam core ski and the epoxy doesn't have something substantial to grab on. It may hold for a while but when it fails the screw won't come loose from the epoxy but the glob of epoxy will come out in one piece. A more permanent fix would be a nylon helicoil. For a ski shop with the right bits and inserts, it should be about a $3 repair.

In Maine it looks like we might have some of the best spring skiing we've seen in years. On the other hand, last Sunday I was trying to scrape bottom paint while standing in 3 feet of snow.