Cape Dory 31

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Tom Pandiscio

Cape Dory 31

Post by Tom Pandiscio »

I am interested in hearing from any Capy Dory 31 owmers who have added lead to their boats. I am considering doing so this spring and want to know how this has affected the performance of these boats. t Robinhood Marine has added lead to several boats but I am anxious to hear from an owner.

Tom_Pandiscio@mail.wachusett-rhs.wrsd.k12.ma.us
Bill Sonntag

Re: Cape Dory 31

Post by Bill Sonntag »

Tom Pandiscio wrote: I am interested in hearing from any Capy Dory 31 owmers who have added lead to their boats. I am considering doing so this spring and want to know how this has affected the performance of these boats. t Robinhood Marine has added lead to several boats but I am anxious to hear from an owner.
I can't help you with owner experience, but I would be interested in who the contact for information is at Robinhood Marine? By-the-way, I have also found the boat somewhat tender and suspect that the stock balast configuration placed forward and relatively high in the keel may be part of the reason. As noted in a posting I did in January on this site, I'm trying a smaller headsail with "furling stops" to take advantage of the staysail/headsail combination when the breeze picks up. I'm willing to forego some light air performance for "MORE POWER" when it kicks up a bit. I'll report on results after March 15th.

Thanks Bill Sonntag

wasdc@pop.erols.com
Nancy Martin
Location: Cape Dory 31, Hull #85, "Carina", Typhoon, Hull #1655, "KnoTy Boy", Atlanta, GA

Cape Dory 31

Post by Nancy Martin »

Where is your 31 kept?
Nancy & John Martin
Sailing on Lake Lanier just NE of Atlanta
Typhoon #1655 "KnoTy Boy" 1979
CD31 #85 "Carina" 1985
www.carina31.blogspot.com
Tom

Tender

Post by Tom »

I've never found my 31 to be tender and it has no extra ballast. Boats with soft bilges are designed to sail at more of a heel than flat bottomed boats with fin keels, CDs stiffen as they heel farther over. They heel easily to 15 degrees or so and then stiffen. What force of wind does it take to bury your rail?
Nancy Martin
Location: Cape Dory 31, Hull #85, "Carina", Typhoon, Hull #1655, "KnoTy Boy", Atlanta, GA

CD31 Tender

Post by Nancy Martin »

We were sailing our 31 this past weekend in 20 - 30 mph winds. We started out with full main, staysail and yankee. After about an hour we reefed the main but kept everything else the same. We were not burying the rail at all. We had one good gust of about 40 mph that caused us to dip rail to where the edge of the lowest lifeline was in water. We were going hull speed easily but the angle of heel was not uncomfortable.
nancy
Nancy & John Martin
Sailing on Lake Lanier just NE of Atlanta
Typhoon #1655 "KnoTy Boy" 1979
CD31 #85 "Carina" 1985
www.carina31.blogspot.com
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: CD31 Tender

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Nancy,
Nancy Martin wrote:We were sailing our 31 this past weekend in 20 - 30 mph winds. We started out with full main, staysail and yankee. After about an hour we reefed the main but kept everything else the same. We were not burying the rail at all. We had one good gust of about 40 mph that caused us to dip rail to where the edge of the lowest lifeline was in water. We were going hull speed easily but the angle of heel was not uncomfortable.
nancy
All Cape Dorys are "tender", they were designed to heel not to sail flat. Anyway, I don't think you need any extra ballast, but that's just my opinion.

On our CD32, with winds greater than 25 kts (mph or knots?) we're using the staysail and a double-reefed main. I wouldn't panic if a 40 mph gust put my lifelines in the water, she'll stand right back up once it has passed. But with gusts in that range, you may have just needed to reef further. Is your main setup for a third reef? How about your staysail? We can put a reef in ours. How old are your sails? Were you able to flatten them?

Anyway, I think I'd try working on the sail configuration before I started messing with ballast.

Good luck,
Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Pete

Still Learning

Post by Pete »

I too have CD31, and have been working to learn just how "tender" she is. I have had her fully reefed in 25+ mph winds and never felt out of control, unsafe, etc.

While reading your post, I felt like you were describing my last trip out. We had the main on its second reef point, but the jib fully out. Heeled over with just a hint of toe rail in the water. What a great day with the wind running steady at 15-20 mph. As we continued on, the edge of land that was blocking wind--stopped blocking wind!

:oops:

We were hit with heavy gust of wind. The boat heeled over, water near the portlights and lifelines ready to take a bath. I released sail pressure, we popped back to our pre-gust heel. (did I forget to mention that we then reefed all our sails to their second reef point.)

A couple of observations to pass along...

1. I think you will find that your CD31 likes heavy weather and can take it.

2. More importantly, she likes to be in balance.

3. I'm thinking of a new slogan, "Reef one, Reef All!"

I would not consider more lead, unless you have had huge chunks of your boat removed. Adding more lead will change more than just her "tenderness", and i'm not sure that's why you bought a CD in the first place. My vote, work on sail configurations, learn what she likes (and doesn't), then check back in a few months.

Pete
Tom Feeny

CD31 is a bit tender

Post by Tom Feeny »

I once owned a Cape Dory 31 before a Cape Dory 36. I originally fell in love with the Cape Dory line sailing with a friend on a Cape Dory 30. I've sailed those three boats and think the 31 is indeed tender in comparison to the other two.

I remember having a discussion with Andy V. about adding ballast but don't recall the detail. I just learned to reef earlier. I often left the reef in for most of the windier season.
Phil Shedd
Rothesay NB Canada
Membership # 89

Love me Tender

Post by Phil Shedd »

We have had some of the best sails on our 31 when there is a blow. We like the staysail and one reef main set up. Works well is stable with normal heel.This combination gives some helm but nothing to worry about. We have had some very long beats with this set up and enjoyed every minute of it .

Phil
Rothesay NB
Gamblin'

(Where it rained hard here and now there is little snow)
len

CD 31

Post by len »

tom

i would not add ballast to a CD 31, they are quite heavy already! - excess heeling can be reduced by using the mainsheet traveller and reefing - i have been in rough conditions offshore with my CD 31 and never felt insecure -

len
len

CD 31

Post by len »

tom

i would not add ballast to a CD 31, they are quite heavy already! - excess heeling can be reduced by using the mainsheet traveller and reefing - i have been in rough conditions offshore with my CD 31 and never felt insecure -

len
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

work with them

Post by winthrop fisher »

HI...
after reading all your post cathy and pete and all the others are right, for my self having three different cd's you do not have to changes any thing, but learn how to use what you have on board or changes your sails.
winthrop
JJ

2 Finger Tango is Your Solution!

Post by JJ »

I learned early on that CDs force one to balance the sails - and balance them early - to avoid excess weather helm and to maintain best speed on all points of sail. They are all tender. With a narrow beam, large P/E and relatively small foretriangle, they will want to round up as the wind pipes up. They all carry weather helm. The 'sprit, if you have one, cheats by increasing the foretriangle. Perhaps that was an afterthought.

Reef early. It's easy to shake out a reef; a bear to put one in when it's blowing hard.

As far as heeling goes - anything past a few degrees will start to affect your comfort, the vessels stability and sailing abilities because of CE/CB shift and wetted surface increase. I know all the stuff about CDs made to heel and then finding a righting point - hooey! My Typhoon, CD25 and CD27 were very difficult to helm if too much sail was carried for the conditions or the boat was not balanced properly.

And I'm talking starting to reef at 10kts or so of true wind speed.

Reefing is all about balance. It is not a heavy weather tactic. You see this stated in a lot of books and articles and that's hogwash. Try to get a Monitor windvane (or any vane for that matter) to steer a sailing vessel on any point of sail that has not been properly balanced - ain't gonna happen, folks. I want to enjoy my sail, not tinker with the vane the whole time I'm out to get the damn thing to steer a course. Never had a problem - cause I learned the secret of B A L A N C E.....

I loved to blow past other "fast boats" in moderate breezes with a reef in the main and a mule forward. Wish I had some photos of the "I can't believe what I'm seeing" looks I got!

What is proper balance? I always like to get things down to basics - one question: Can you steer the boat on all points of sail with 2 fingers - not straining - a light touch of 2 fingers? That's right - 2 fingers.

When you can do this, your boat will be balanced properly for any conditions.

It's going to take some time to get used to this - then again you do own a Cape Dory. They're fine boats - but your going to have to reef early! Otherwise, get a road hog (Westsail anybody?)
The Patriot

Re: Cape Dory 31

Post by The Patriot »

Tom Pandiscio wrote:I am interested in hearing from any Capy Dory 31 owmers who have added lead to their boats. I am considering doing so this spring and want to know how this has affected the performance of these boats ...

I know you mentioned that RH has added ballast to several boats (presumably post-construction), but I would think long and hard before doing this to an otherwise proven design.

These boats like to get in the "groove" to sail well, and usually that means sailing at 15 or so degrees. Any less and we like to sit on the low side; any more and we shorten sail.

Unfortunately old man Alberg isn't around to help, but if he were I suspect I know what his answer would be.