Urgent need: #12-24 bronze round/panhead screws!!!!!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

M. R. Bober

Urgent need: #12-24 bronze round/panhead screws!!!!!

Post by M. R. Bober »

I have been seeking a few #12-24 bronze round/panhead screws--used as drain plugs on the Spartan seacocks--for several months. Todate I have had zero success. I have contacted Chesapeake Marine Fasteners, Spartan, and a few other mainstays in the trade. They do not have the items in stock.
OBTW: Spartan used at least two different drain screws, which made my search more complicated. While Spartan will not supply repair parts for their U/L approved seacocks, Paul did try to locate a source for me. Paul, if you read this, thanks again.

So it's come to this....
ANYBODY GOT ANY #12-24 BRONZE ROUND OR PANHEAD SCREWS??? Or know of someone who does?

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Annapolis (where's it's time to start the de-winterization process, or at least think about it, and I'm unscrewed.) MD
Phil Shedd
Rothesay NB Canada
Membership # 89

Post by Phil Shedd »

Mitch

We have a old fashion hardware store in Town that sell every thing. I know they have brass and bronze screws I will check tomorrow and get back to you. This store is like some thing out of Nornman Rockwell.

Phil
CD31 Gamblin
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Mitchell

I have some and I got them from Spartan Marine. I replaced a 3/4" seacock last year asked for some extra 12-24 screws and they sent them to me. I dont know if I paid for them or if they were free gratis, but they had them at that time.

Fair winds
Bill Member #250.
David Sabourin
Tracy's Creek, Maryland

screws

Post by David Sabourin »

Mitch,
If all else fails, try Jamestown Fasteners in Bristol, RI. At least I think they are now in Bristol. They have a website that I've ordered from.

If you cannot find the website, let me know and I'll send it.

David Sabourin
bottomscraper

Can You Drill & Tap To Larger Size?

Post by bottomscraper »

Can you drill and tap to larger size? It looks like you would need to go to at least 5/16" since clearance drill size (#2) for #12 screws is larger than tap drill size (#7) for 1/4" screws. It seems 12-24 is a very rare beast in bronze. Bristol Bronze shows flat head 12-24 bronze screws but not round or pan head. Do you have room to maybe put a longer flathead screw with a nut? Ugly but should work.
Last edited by bottomscraper on Mar 8th, '05, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

Drill & tap would require removing seacock from RESPITE, which is currently afloat.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Annapolis (where we are under a winter storm watch), MD
M. R. Bober

Just a second request

Post by M. R. Bober »

Cheap trick to bump the thread back into a more prominent location. :oops:

Every best wish,
Mitchell Bober
Sunny Annapolis (where it could get warmer any day soon), MD
barfwinkle

Music

Post by barfwinkle »

Isn't that the name of a band??? :D
Bill Member #250.
Jim F
Potts Harbor Me.
CDSOA # 562

12/24 bronze

Post by Jim F »

I am checking with my supplier to see if he can get them. He has been able to come up with some unusual item for me in the past.I have found 3 of them that I can drop in the mail to you to get you by. We used to have a couple of boxes around our shop but I can't seem to find any now. If I am able to get some how many do you want? Bradford NH where it is still snowing.
Jim F
Potts Harbor Me.
CDSOA # 562

12x24 found

Post by Jim F »

I can get you 12x24 x3/4" slotted round head bronze. A box of 100 will cost me $62.00 or .62 each. let me know if you still want some I can by the box and send you what you want. Sorry it took so long to find them but they aren't the the most popular item around.