Water heater without electric

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Steve Laume

Water heater without electric

Post by Steve Laume »

Being new to pressure water with the possiblility of hot and cold on tap I have some questions. I picked up my boat late last fall and didn't have too much time to play with it. The PO had taken out the hot water heater because it was rusted and he was on a mooring. I am planning on remounting the battery boxes and could use the space the heater occupied. I am also on a mooring and do not foresee having enough power to operate an electric hot water heated. This heater also has a heat exchanger that would work off the engine. I could strip off the outer sheet metal reinsulate and build a new box for the heated and just use it with the engine. How long does the engine have to run to get hot water and once it is hot how long does it stay that way once the energy source is turned off? The tank takes up a lot of space but then it adds 10% to the fresh water storage. Showering in the head just doesn't seem right to me. All that nice woodwork and dealing with the drain water. A cockpit shower with pressure hot water at the end of the day would be a luxury coming from the sun shower or nothing end of things. I am wondering why I have never seen a hot water heater with just a heat exchanger option. Am I all wet on this one or is it worth pursuing? Thanks, Steve.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: Water heater without electric

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Steve,
Steve Laume wrote:"...How long does the engine have to run to get hot water and once it is hot how long does it stay that way once the energy source is turned off? The tank takes up a lot of space but then it adds 10% to the fresh water storage. Showering in the head just doesn't seem right to me. All that nice woodwork and dealing with the drain water. A cockpit shower with pressure hot water at the end of the day would be a luxury coming from the sun shower or nothing end of things. I am wondering why I have never seen a hot water heater with just a heat exchanger option. Am I all wet on this one or is it worth pursuing? Thanks, Steve.
The only time you use electric to make hot water is when you're tied up to a dock and then it is mostly used for washing dishes since you'll most likely do your showering ashore. But when you're out cruising, your hot water will come from the engine and the heat exchanger or you'll have to heat some up on the stove or use a SunShower as you already mentioned.

The engine has to run under load to get the temperature up high enough to open the engine's thermostat. Once the thermostat opens up, you'll start making hot water. So if you're out sailing, fire up the engine on the way into the harbor or anchorage so that it runs for at least a 1/2 hour. On a windless day you'll be motoring anyway and have really hot water. A well-insulated tank will keep the water warm for close to 12 hours - warm, not hot. That old Raritan won't keep it warm that long.

It's best to do your showering shortly after anchoring while the water's still hot though in the summer I find that I'd much rather cool off with a cool rather than hot or warm shower. And there's still plenty of hot water for the dishes after dinner.

Keep a big sponge in the head so that you can wipe the place down after showering but you really don't make that much of a mess because you shouldn't be using alot of water -- less than a gallon. Also keep a spray bottle of OrangeGlo on hand so that you can re-oil the wood in the head on occasion. It doesn't need it that often but it will also kill any mold that decides to take root.

By the way, last year during our cruise to the rendezvous at Plymouth, MA, the first leg of our journey was a 75 nm jaunt from Raritan Bay to Milford, CT in late July. We arrived at Milford after dark and pulled into a slip at the Milford Landing Marina. When we got there it was closed so we couldn't get keys for the showers/restrooms, nor could we plug into shore power because they turn it on individually, so we had to do our showering aboard the boat. We motored up the river and it was really nice to be able to take a shower at our preferred temperatures and believe me we needed showers and we had lots of very hot water for cleanup after dinner which we also prepared aboard. I don't know how long a SunShower bag keeps the water warm, but since we arrived in port after dark, I don't think that would have worked. Anyway, that's why many of us opt to have hot water heaters.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
bilofsky
Location: CD 30 Flybridge "Golden Phoenix" on San Francisco Bay

Post by bilofsky »

The insulation on our 12 gallon electric / engine water heater is amazing. Normally we arrive somewhere mid-afternoon. There is plenty of scalding water for showers that evening, and enough left over for warm showers the next evening or even lukewarm the second morning. Of course we are heating it with a pretty hefty engine :) but I'd guess the temperature is what matters, not the heat capacity.

So before you toss out the old casing, study their insulation secrets.

I wouldn't think the electric part would take enough room to be worth disassembling the unit to get rid of it. Or is the case rusty enough that it needs to be redone anyway?
Tod Mills

regarding sun showers....

Post by Tod Mills »

Last year, at someone's suggestion, I replaced the standard green plastic pull-type nozzle with a dishwashing nozzle, the type you find at a kitchen sink.

Wow, much nicer!
Clay Stalker

Post by Clay Stalker »

Steve-

I have a 6 gallon hot water heater on Yankee Lady, and also carry two sunshowers. I tend to use the sunshowers more often...after swimming for a fresh water rinse, and even in the morning for a shower on deck if it's warm out. However, you just cannot beat a hot or warm shower when it's chilly out. As for water in the boat, as Cathy says, you don't really use that much, keep a port open, and dry it with a sponge or chamoix type thing when done...dried quickly. Then just pump out the bilge. I keep Lemon Oil on board and use it often around the boat...have never had much mildew.

Clay Stalker
Nacra2

hot water

Post by Nacra2 »

Steve,
Have you considered a propane or CNG fired hot water heater? My CD30 has a CNG fired on demand heater. I believe it is made by Rinnai (spelling?). Light a pilot light and burner only comes on when hot water is on. It's only limit is how much water you have in the tanks. Boat is in Pawcatuck Ct. if you care to see this.
Jack
s.v. LaVida
Location: LaVida is a Cape Dory 33, Hull#40 Homeport of Olcott,NY

hot showers

Post by s.v. LaVida »

On LaVida we use a modified sears bug sprayer (its painted black).

With the bug sprayer you get a very powerful mist that can be changed to suit your preference.

its a very conservative use of your fresh water resources.

Mike Ritenour
LaVida
CD33
patturner

Extreme shower

Post by patturner »

I purchased a thing called "extreme shower". It's essentially a stainless steel garden sprayer you can put on your stove top to heat up. It's hot in about 10 minutes and you have enough water for 2 showers. They have other versions that have a small sperate propane heat source.

Pat
________
Ultimate Fighters
________
ULTIMATE FIGHTER
Last edited by patturner on Feb 15th, '11, 21:25, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Laume

Tankless heater

Post by Steve Laume »

Jack, I am most interested in your tankless water heater installation. Where is it mounted and how does it vent? If it could be mounted close to the galley sink it would get it near the CNG tanks and shorten the run to the most freaquently used fauset. I checked West and Defender and did not see an offering. It would certainly save space if not water and gas. I would love to take a look at your boat set up if you have some time this spring. I am just down the road at Spicers in Noak. I will be spending a bunch of time down there getting ready for launch. With all the scrapping I hae to do I will need a break along the way. Feel free to E-mail if you like, Steve.
dukie58

hot water

Post by dukie58 »

Steve,
The heater is mounted in the head on the starboard side bulkhead that seperates the head from the main cabin. It uses a chimney that I screw into a three inch deck plate when in use. When not in use the chimney stores below. Deck plate is then covered with a cap that uses a spanner wrench to tighten it down. This is a great unit that I hope lasts a long time. I've owned the boat five years and never had any problems with it. Stop anytime in spring, Norwest Marine
Jack
nacra2

hot water

Post by nacra2 »

Steve,
The heater is mounted in the head on the starboard side bulkhead that seperates the head from the main cabin. It uses a chimney that I screw into a three inch deck plate when in use. When not in use the chimney stores below. Deck plate is then covered with a cap that uses a spanner wrench to tighten it down. This is a great unit that I hope lasts a long time. I've owned the boat five years and never had any problems with it. Stop anytime in spring, Norwest Marine
Jack
P.S. Double post learning new board!