CD36 Hot Water Heater

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

David Sabourin
Tracy's Creek, Maryland

CD36 Hot Water Heater

Post by David Sabourin »

Has anyone had experience changing the hot water heater in their 36? Ours has a Raritan 6 gal and I'm in the process of removing it due to high corrosion and leaks. I've found the space alloted at the top of the port lazzarette isn't sufficient to replace with the same model. Any experiences to share?
Jay Kanavos

How About This?

Post by Jay Kanavos »

Dave,

I have a CD30 with very limited space and ran into the same problem that you have. I researched a number of water heaters and found the Volvo-Penta Quality Line Water Heater (5.3 gallons) fit the bill. While it was a bit expensive at $355, it came apart so that I could squeeze it into through the lazerette locker hatch. Essentially, the outer foam comes off and then you put it back together in the locker.
The following link might help with more information:

[img]http://www.great-water.com/assets/photos/ql/35-20.jpg[/img]

http://www.great-water.com/pages/produc ... 20-110.htm

It was very easy getting it through the opening. The only difficult part was actually securing it to the shelf and then making some room for the engine coolant overflow tank.

I have some pictures of the installation, and heater, if you'd like.

Jay
Jay
s/v JenEric, #327
CD-30C, B-layout
Boston, MA
adevans
Location: Whisper, Bristol 45.5, Handy Boat Services, Falmouth, Maine

Search the Main Forum

Post by adevans »

David, I remember some discussion about a year ago relating to replacing hot water heaters. As I'm sure you've discovered, the Raritan cannot go back into the CD 36. It was installed at the yard before the deck went on.

I did a search of the Main Forum here on Hot Water Heater, and, among other things, found a posting by Dennis Robinett, dated 11/12/02, in which he reports good success with the Isotemp 221R as a replacement. It was chosen because it could be disassembled for installation.

Good luck.
Allen Evans
Jay Kanavos

Isotemp

Post by Jay Kanavos »

Alan,

I, too, was looking at the Isotemp 221R but at a price of about $450 I thought it was a bit steep. Additionally, I don't think that Isotemp manufactures it any more. I think it was replaced by the Slim-Line product line.

The 6.5 gallon model has dimensions of 30-3/4 x 11-7/16 x 12.

Jay
Jay
s/v JenEric, #327
CD-30C, B-layout
Boston, MA
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: CD36 Hot Water Heater

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Dave,
David Sabourin wrote:Has anyone had experience changing the hot water heater in their 36? Ours has a Raritan 6 gal and I'm in the process of removing it due to high corrosion and leaks. I've found the space alloted at the top of the port lazzarette isn't sufficient to replace with the same model. Any experiences to share?
I don't know how much room there is in the CD36 but we replaced the old 6 gallon Raritan on our CD32 last year with the 7.9 gallon QL hotwater heater from Volvo Penta. The outer shell/insulation is easily removable making it reasonably easy to install. But you do have to take it apart to get it into the lazerette then re-assemble it in place. The old Raritan had to be cut up to be removed.

We had to extend the shelf to make room for the new water heater since we also replaced the old Group 24 batteries with Group 27s which required a new and larger battery box. The battery box is mounted on a shelf right next to the hotwater heater on the 32.

Anyway, here's the link to the info for the 7.9 gallon QL hotwater heater.

Great Water Inc. Marine Systems

If you're interested in the Isotemp models rather than the Volvo Penta models, here's a link to Isotemp's web site. The Isotemp "Regular" is nearly identical to the Volvo Penta QL, then there's the Isotemp "Slim & Basic" models, and the Isotemp "Slim Square" looks really interesting

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Last edited by Cathy Monaghan on Mar 6th, '05, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.

cd36 water heater

Post by Guest »

Dave,
Unfortunately, The isotemp unit that comes apart is no longer available. Atlantic marine has a nice rectangular 6 gallon stainless steel
unit that fits through the lazarette and fits nicely in the area where the raritan was installed. As you may have gathered from other posts, the hardest part is securing the unit to the platform.

good luck,
Charlie
David Sabourin
Tracy's Creek, Maryland

Hot Water Heater

Post by David Sabourin »

Thanks to all that have replied to my post. I think I have enough options now to get a new heater that fits.......the Atlantic posting was a big help. Lot's of options.

David
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Route through the Engine Room?

Post by Parfait's Provider »

Is the route through the engine room any more spacious?

Parfait was fitted with an Atlantic Marine T-6E back in '97; the specs say it is 12-5/8" high. I have no idea what was necessary to squeeze it in. Price back then was $500; today they are $604. http://www.atlantic-marine.com/Pricelist.html
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: cd36 water heater

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Charlie,
Charlie wrote:Dave,
Unfortunately, The isotemp unit that comes apart is no longer available. Atlantic marine has a nice rectangular 6 gallon stainless steel
unit that fits through the lazarette and fits nicely in the area where the raritan was installed. As you may have gathered from other posts, the hardest part is securing the unit to the platform.

good luck,
Charlie
Since Indel Marine still shows the "Isotemp Regular" hot water heater on their web site (Indel is the manufacturer), I sent them an inquiry to confirm whether it is still available or not in the U.S. I'll let everyone know when I hear back from them.

Fair winds,
Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay