outboard replacement

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

clark van galder
Location: Typhoon/ Sarah J/ located-La Pointe,WI(Madeline Island)

outboard replacement

Post by clark van galder »

I have a Typhoon weekender and I'm considering replacing my SeaGull outboard with a 2HP Honda. I moor the boat on a bouy and sometimes I miss it(more times than not) and some times I need to run the engine depending how close to shore I get.

My question is what are the limits of the 2HP Honda in waves and wind in pushing my Typhoon though them?

Thanks, Clark
Tim Mertinooke

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

I have a honda 2hp on the back of my Ty. I keep my boat in the Merrimack River in MA which can have currents of 4 knots depending on the tide. I can't make headway against the tide with a 2hp. At slack tide however, I feel as though it pushes it just fine. I have used on occasion a 5hp Honda that I borrow from my dad. That will move the boat against the tide, but the hull speed of a Ty is just under 5 knots so do the math (slow going). The thing that I love about the 2hp is that it is light (28lbs) and has an internal tank (no hoses!). The 5hp seems heavy compared to the 2hp, but the difference in thrust is significant. It all depends what conditions you will use it in.
CD26 #52
"Odyssey"