Looking to buy a good family sailboat...

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Looking to buy a good family sailboat...

Post by Guest »

I am in the market for a seaworthy sailboat under $15,000 in the New England area. We hope to do occasional 1-2 night overnights in the coastal Rhode Island area. If anyone has a boat or knows of one (Cape Dory or otherwise), I'd be interested.

Thanks.

Sean

suiterw@hotmail.com
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Looking to buy a good family sailboat...

Post by Neil Gordon »

Tell us more about your family. Just a cruising couple or a family filled with teens?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

Re: Looking to buy a good family sailboat...

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

Neil Gordon wrote:Tell us more about your family. Just a cruising couple or a family filled with teens?
Family filled w/ teens?!?!?! Isnt that like a cruising couple. The teens would not want to be seen w/ the parents, so the parents would be cruising by themselves (and wondering what the teens are doing).
polyphemus
Mariner 28
Edgewood, RI

Former CD Typhoon Owner

just two of us and a toddler. n/m

Post by polyphemus »

n/m
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: just two of us and a toddler. n/m

Post by Neil Gordon »

Ok... you can probably do one or two night overnight cruises within 25 feet of boat. (Overnight being snugly safe for the night, not cruising offshore!) You can do that within your budget, but if you're like the rest of us, once you start looking you'll find a way to expand both the budget and the size of your ideal boat. <G>
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Duncan Maio

Post by Duncan Maio »

A CD 25, 25D or 27 would be fine for what you describe; we sailed all over Narragansett Bay in our CD27 with our 2 1/2 year old, including several overnights and a trip to Block Island.

Things are a little more snug (and complex) now that we have a second child who did not spend as much time on the boat when he was younger (the kids didn't get out much the last two years, and are now 3 and 5).

There is an excellent CD25 in Bristol, that I believe is posted for sale through this board. If the price is right, that's your boat. One thing you don't want with a toddler is a big floating project.
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
Bob Luby

Family Sailboat

Post by Bob Luby »

It sounds like you aren't terribly young- so a Cape dory 25D or 27 would be up your alley.

Between the two: The 27 has a more conventional layout, and the cabin is a bit larger and cozier., However the bunks aren't quite as long, I think, - a consideration if you're tall.

The 25D has that commodious head rather than a claustrophobic V-Berth, and it has " ducking some" headroom for me in the main cabin ( I'm 6'4")

Take your wife along and look at them both.
________
MOBILIO
________
Video Reviews