roller furling

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mruhnke

roller furling

Post by mruhnke »

If I have a small sail (mule/triad) with a wire built into the luff, can I use a small sail roller furling. These only have a drum and swivel head. Will this allow the sail to roll or do I need a separate stay. ?
Joe Mac Phee

mule roller furling

Post by Joe Mac Phee »

The mule on my CD-30/K is a hanked-on sail. A permanent wire stay runs from the masthead fitting on the mainmast to hounds on the mizzen at the level fo the boom. The mule has a pennant about 3 feet long to get the tack higher up.

The small boat furler apparently does not use an extruded foil between the drum and the head. I think that the small boat furler is intended to be used with a wire stay.

Because of the pennant on my mule, I do not think the sail would roll without the foil.

If you decide to try the furler, let us know how you make out.

roller furling

Post by Guest »

Thanks. My mule sail does not use permanent stay. I hoist mine up with two halyards, one on top of the main and one the mizzen. I tie the botton corner to a cleat just above the boom on the mizzen. This is a difficult process to go up and to take down. I have decided to put it on a small sail roller furling using onkly a base and a head, I think it will work. Why else would they sell these small sail furling kits with only the base and head?
Joe Mac Phee

Post by Joe Mac Phee »

On my mule, the mule halyard is reeved through a block on a metal strap at the peak of the main. The halyard is cleated on the mizzen at boom level and is parallel to (and above) the main backstay. The mizzen sheet is reeved through a swivel block at the peak (forward side) of the mizzen. Both the halyard and the sheet are controlled from the base of the mizzen.

Therefore, the head of the sail is at the peak of the main, the tack is at the mizzen boom level, and the clew is at the peak of the mizzen. The luff is parallel to the main backstay, the foot is parallel to the mizzen and the leech is parallel to the triadic. I think that it is the pennant on my mule which is not compatable with the small boat furler (the pennant will wind up instead of the sail).

Which side of your mule has the wire luff? Is it the side from the peak of the main to the cleat or is the side from the peak of the main to the peak of the mizzen?

I would assume that the drum of your proposed furler would be near the cleat on the mizzen so that you can remove the sail.

If the tack of your sail attaches directly to the drum, it may work.

Good luck :)