Minor rigging questions.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

drb9

Minor rigging questions.

Post by drb9 »

My CD26 sail has four batten pockets, with grommets at the end of each, and battens with a hole at the end. I've always just run a line through the grommet, into the hole, and through the other grommet, tying the ends off. Is there a neater way to do this?

Also, I have roller furling, and two sails, a jib and a genoa. Given the strong spring winds on the Chesapeake, I thought I would finally try to rig the jib. With the genoa, I would run the sheets through the pulleys running along the sides. Do the jib sheets run through there, or do they go through pulleys on the tracks set into the deck? If this is the case, I think I need to buy those pulleys, because right now I only have the tracks. Is this right?
Bob L

Post by Bob L »

You're right. The track on the deck is for the jib so you can sheet in closer to the centerline.
George Shaunfield
and Westsail 28
Dickinson Bayou, Galveston Bay, TX

Jib Sheeting

Post by George Shaunfield »

Yes, the jib sheets go through the blocks on the tracks set into the side deck as Bob L stated. With a 20 knot breeze, one reef in the main and the working jib is a good balance on my CD26.

Regarding the grommet at each batten, I don't think mine has that, but I'll have to check. Tying them with small line sounds like a good idea.

George
SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

Post by SeaBelle »

At the beginning of the my sailing season I had my boat launched in Kittery,ME and was sailing 'East of Schoodic' and then to my hailport Rockland,ME. Early on my battens shook out (embarsessingly). I put into Rockland and my sailmaker, bought some battens, on his advise sewed the pocket closed and sailed on.
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.
Steve Laume

Batten pockets

Post by Steve Laume »

If you want to use the gromets you have you might try twine or thread. You could take multipal raps around to gain the strength you need without having a large diameter line and the accompaning knot to mess up the air flow. Sewn pockets work very well but are a pain when you go to fold a sail with large batterns. Whateer works is good. Lost battens are bad, Steve.
mahalocd36

Re: Minor rigging questions.

Post by mahalocd36 »

drb9 wrote:My CD26 sail has four batten pockets, with grommets at the end of each, and battens with a hole at the end. I've always just run a line through the grommet, into the hole, and through the other grommet, tying the ends off. Is there a neater way to do this?
I don't know about neater, but we did have a problem on Mahalo, for what it's worth ...... We tied our battens in just like you suggested and on a windy day, we lost a batten. Didn't see it, but I imagine the batten flew out of the sail like a shot. So now we overcompensate probably by tying the batten in, then sewing the knot so it can't come undone. Kind of a pain, but cheaper than buying new battens all the time. And we only have to do it once a year, at the beginning of the season.
drb9

Post by drb9 »

Thanks for the replies. As to the blocks for the jib sheets, do you have a separate set, or do you take the ones for the genoa and move them to the tracks in the deck? Is there a type of block that goes on easily, so I can remove it when I'm using the genoa instead?