Spinaker for Typhoon for Sale

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Lesage

Spinaker for Typhoon for Sale

Post by John Lesage »

I have a "perfectly" good symmetrical Spinnaker for sale. It came from the Typhoon I sold. Very colorful Blue and yellow. I am asking $375.00 for it plus shipping. Included is a sail bag and two sheets. Contact me at jjlesage@comcast.net
John Lesage
John Phillips

Typhoon spinnaker

Post by John Phillips »

I tried your email and my message bounced back. Let me know if you still have the sail. Thanks
John Lesage

BOUNCED EMAIL a "great thing"

Post by John Lesage »

Yes the sail is still for sale as well as a club jib for the Typhoon.

My email server from comcast always sends a bounce to the sender telling them that my account or address is incorrect or that I'm not a client. All the while I get the emails. My "friends" know this and ignor it. I haven't tried to have it fixed, it seems like I get less and less spam.
My son tells me that I should patent the concept. At the same time he tells me that this could become the next product sold by AOL.

He calls it.
"Personal Obstructor System selective e-mail screener/spam e-mail deterrent"

-or-

"POSSESSED"

(...or just "POS," for short, which might be a more fitting acronym for AOL,
anyway.)
Peter Drake
1974 Typhoon Weekender #672,
Marblehead, MA

Club-footed jib for Typhoon

Post by Peter Drake »

Hi John:

Can you tell me how this club-footed jib is rigged? Is there a permanent hardware installation? Or, simply a removeable jib boom attached to the foredeck and clew?

Thanks.
P-
mb taylor

Self-tending Jib

Post by mb taylor »

I'm quite interested in the club-footed jib set-up as well. Has anyone else modified their boat this way? I'd be quite interested in more details since this is something I'd like to do on my Ty.
Peter Drake
1974 Typhoon Weekender #672,
Marblehead, MA

Club-footed jib

Post by Peter Drake »

The ultimate setup would be the Hoyt Jib Boom, offered through Forespar Corp. (MSRP $1,038). Seems a bit pricey for an 18' sailboat.
I was wondering about other, less expensive, ways to configure a club-footed jib on a Typhoon. Seems like a pretty handy rig for singlehanding, especially without a roller furling headsail.
P-
John Lesage

Club Footed Jib

Post by John Lesage »

I will try to photograph the actual self tending sail. I don't have a Typhoon at the moment, after 12 years. So I can't show the actual setup . Might not get to it before this weekend, however, it is for sale along with the spinnaker.
I used it about three times in the late part of the season when the winds were really blowing and I was single sailing. Great for quick abouts. It is in perfect condition as purchased.
The basic idea is a boom attached at the forepeak and a "sheet" from the clew to a deck block that is led to a cleat. It's trimmed at the cleat and as they say you set it and forget it. Mine came without a boom just the hoops to slide on one. I have used many different types of material for the boom from spinnaker poles to boat hooks. My most successful has been a long plastic shroud roller with a line thru it for the fore and aft. This had just enough flex to actually shape the foot of the sail a bit. It's like those sails on the radio controlled sailboats. When you come about it resets to the opposite side at the same angle. Pretty handy and makes
you look good at the same time. I'll sell that for $225.00
plus shipping. Let me know and pay no attention to those
email errors.