Motor for Cape Dory 25

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

The swan

Motor for Cape Dory 25

Post by The swan »

Can anyone tell if a honda 9.9 will fit in the motor well of a CD 25?it is a new 2005 motor
Thanks
The Swam
ddsailor25

CD 25 Motor

Post by ddsailor25 »

No. The last time I measured it wouldn't fit. I believe it was to high and too long. Tahotsu(sp) 6hp or thier new 8hp will fit.
neil
Cape Dory 25, hull # 253
Key West, The Conch Republic.

NOPE.

Post by neil »

I have a honda 9.9 four stroke crammed into my moter well and ITS DRIVING ME NUTS.
Its too big, its too heavy, and I have a hell of a time getting into or out of the water.
if its in the water while I am sailing it steers the boat. if its not in the water its destroying the stuff that holds it out.
The only good thing about it is I can tow other peoples boats, the largest so far was a 50 foot steel hulled sailboat that someone near where I am moored wanted moved.
Its a great engine, it starts EVERY time and I trust it, but its just wrong.

Sigh...
On that note, anyone wany to trade with me for a smaller engine?

GRIN!
}=-(-_-)-={
Brian Welch

CD 25 Outboard

Post by Brian Welch »

I recently jettisoned my old Mercury 8hp 2 stroke-great engine-but old. I found a honda dealer in Point Pleasant NJ that had a couple of the old style honda 8hp 4 strokes. I purchased a new -2001 Honda 8hp 4 stroke. It is 25 lbs lighter than the 2004/2005 8 hp's and it is a hair smaller. After bringing the outboard mount forward by 1 -1.5 inches I can just get it in.

However by doing that the well cover sits almost on top of engine. If you are going to use a new 4 stroke you may have to remove the tiller arm and out it through engine well and have it protrude out into cockpit. I was able to just slide mine under traveller, but it sticks out into the cockpit. Unfortunate that well just isn't made for the larger 4 strokes-I would also recommend you always keep the water tank at least 1/2 full to offset extra transom weight from heavier outboard! Good luck-let me know what you wind up doing.

Brian Welch

CD 25 , Drinzel
Red Bank, NJ
Brian Welch
mgphl52

re: outboard for CD25

Post by mgphl52 »

My last CD25 came with a 9.9 Yachtwin that was too old, too heavy and total overkill. I replaced it with a 6hp Nissan 4-stroke that fit great, motored well and was rather easy to move from well to cabin sole (which is where it spent most of its time...:-).

With the proper prop, a 6hp is just about perfect for the CD25 and balances well on the water line. And a 4-stroke gets great "mileage!"

-michael