Best marine handheld radio?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Mathias

Best marine handheld radio?

Post by Mathias »

I would like to buy a handheld for this coming season to supplement my stationary unit. Does anyone have a recommendation of what to buy or what to avoid?
Thanks,
-Mathias
Sunset, CD25, #332
Lake Champlain
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: Best marine handheld radio?

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi...
i went to Icom 2 hand held for $148 @ boaters world its a good radio, i have had many of them Garmin, Icom, unden, Standard, but i all was go back to icom because it last the longest, besides i drop it over board and got it back and left it out in the sun to dry out and it was fine and working.
hows that for you. :)
winthrop
Mathias wrote:I would like to buy a handheld for this coming season to supplement my stationary unit. Does anyone have a recommendation of what to buy or what to avoid?
Thanks,
-Mathias
Sunset, CD25, #332
Lake Champlain
:)
bottomscraper

Water Proof!

Post by bottomscraper »

We have two older Standard Horizon handhelds (HX255 & HX350) both work well. Look for features like waterproof and rechargeable batteries. ICOM has some nice products also.

<a href="http://www.standardhorizon.com/"> Standard Horizon Web Page </a>
<a href="http://www.icomamerica.com/marine/handheld.asp"> ICOM WEB PAGE </a>
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Tod Mills

I'm happy with my Standard Horizon HX350S because...

Post by Tod Mills »

...it accepts not only the rechargeable battery pack but also regular alkaline batteries. It's also submersible (a must-have feature!)

It came with AC and DC charger + the alkaline battery holder, so I had no extras to buy.

Do they still make the thing, I wonder?
Clay Stalker

VHF Radio

Post by Clay Stalker »

Mathias:

At this point, there probably aren't any "bad" ones on the market, just some with better features, more attractive, etc. Standard Horizon and ICOM are certainly the leaders in the market, but Raymarine is closing fast. I have used a Standard HX350 for the last 4 years with no complaints or problems, but at this point I would buy one with a lithium-ion battery for the longer battery life. You would not go wrong with either Standard or ICOM IMHO. Same goes for the fixed radios.

Clay Stalker
John R

Handhelds (long post)

Post by John R »

Recently I went through this decision process. I spent a lot of time evaluating many of the current handhelds on the market. I downloaded many owners manuals and technical sheets. I made phone calls to three of the largest producers today, Standard, Icom and Uniden. I have basically always been an Icom fan. However, these days I think Icom is losing some of their past stature to Standard and even to Uniden in the handheld VHF market. There is no question Uniden has the market by the throat when it comes to size and features with their Voyager model, they have set the bar with that model. It's well made, it has a very soft and pliable antenna which is important for a handheld if you want to put it in your pocket and expect it to stay there. It is light. It has a very tough and lightweight polycarbonate case unlike the ABS plastic that Icom uses. It is ergonomic. Standards best competitors in the small and compact size range are the HX460 and 461. Both are very well made radios. They have a magnesium chassis and case, they are very compact but slightly heavier than the Uniden Voyager. The 460 has a good features and the 461 has more features than any handheld on the market being that it also receives AM/FM and can also be used for FRS radio functions, it also receives aviation frequencies. It also has a personal signaling strobe on the ffront panel. The caveat with this radio is the non-removable antenna and also the antenna is longer than average and it is very stiff, similar to Icom antennas.

Icom has two nice *compact* radios, the M88 and the M1V. The M88 is very compact but it is slightly thick so somewhat bulky in that regard. The antenna is very stiff. It will accept a AA pack but the radio becomes another 1/4" thicker when you use that pack and that makes it too bulky for an average pocket but would be okay in a foul weather jacket pocket. It is not a ergonomic radio at all, the buttons are at the bottom of the face and that makes it awkward in the hand to use. It comes with a drop-in charger. It is expensive for what you get. Not a good value in my opinion. The M1V is a nice radio, it is very ergonomic, better than all the other compacts, all front panel control buttons can be operated with just your thumb (excellent). The problem with the M1V is the squelch knob, it develops a snap or click in it and some slop after some usage. Something happens to it internally. Several demo models in the stores that I looked at and handled had the problem but if you handle a brand new one right out of the box the knob will feel fine. This is a concern with the M1V. The entire on/off and collared squelch knob assembly is a shoddy design, it seems cheap and it sticks up quite high. The radio has a very lousy belt clip, not a secure hinged type, it is a thin plastic friction type. Again, quite shoddy for Icom. The antenna is quite a bit stiffer than the Standards and the Uniden and it is longer. It will not accept a AA pack. The Standards will use a AA pack but only on 1 (maybe 2.5 watt, I've forgotten) watt transmission for a restricted period of time. The AA pack will cost you extra for the Standard radios mentioned and the Icom M88.

The Uniden Voyager has a lot going for it from a *great value* perspective. Flat rate replacement charge after 3 year warranty expires is only about $45. It has a SAME weather alert that no other handheld made by anyone has. That alert is a local special alert automatically generated for your immediate area. One problem though....the radio must be set on a weather frequency for this feature to work. It won't alert you if you are on a working or hailing channel. The regular weather alert will, just like on all the other radios mentioned. This radio is a excellent buy on the web, as low as $135 if you search around. In that regard it is a best buy in a *compact* VHF handheld I believe.

I bought a Standard HX460s because it was almost as small as the Voyager, it is built like a tank. It has a very good display, the antenna is a reasonable length and it is very flexible and removable (these antenna features were important to me). It came with two power adapters 12V and 110V but a drop in charger is optional. I got a very good rare deal on this radio and that is what convinced me to purchase it (value!).

Many of these radios have similar features but you must read the fine print in the owners manuals to make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Some handhelds will say they work with a AA pack but they will not all be able to use the same type of batteries. Some will only use alkalines because the AA adapters have no over current protection for the radio. You can take your chances and install memory free nickel metal hydrides but you will void the warranty if there is a problem. Other adapters will work with NiMh batteries. Some will only provide low watt usage. Some radios come with drop in chargers and others only an AC power adapter. Some have a 12V adapter and some not. All have three year warranties mostly but the catch is what happens after the warranty period? Be sure to check the flat rate costs after warranty expires for each brand. Don't overlook the West and Boat US extended warranty policy for electronics. The terms are great, especially when you consider it for any handheld electronic device like a VHF or GPS.

Next is battery replacement costs, obviously the Lithium Ion packs are the most expensive running about $80 and up, except for that Uniden Voyager, it's only $45. Something to think about. How much standby time do the various battery packs provide between charges?

Then you have all the other handhelds by all these manufacturers. Most are pretty bulky and heavy. Not my cup of tea but some people don't mind them. The same criteria applies to all those radios as well. The bottom line is all these radios are pretty comparable in their electronics. and their basic warranties. The real issues are ergonomics, compactness, weight, accessories, battery life, and last but not least *value*.

By the way, I am very pleased with the Standard 460. I did purchase at additional cost a drop in charger unit. I would have no problem recommending this radio as a tough, well made, well featured workhorse of a radio and I would rate it as high if not higher than any Icom I have previously owned. A big problem I had during my search and evaluation was finsing working demo units at suppliers so I could make honest comparsions of how they functioned. I hope all this yaking is helpful to you or others. Good luck.
Russell

Post by Russell »

I got the Icom IC-M1V. I wanted water proof, lithium-ion batteries and easy to use. This seemed to fit the bill and it has generally been very well reviewed. As pointed out already, the belt clip sucks, I knew this going into it and didnt mind as I rarely wear clothing thats suitible to clipping it on anyways. I was not aware of the problem with the squelch knob, mine works fine but is pretty new.

I mainly got the handheld for the ditch bag or for emergency use if my whole electric system konks out or my two mounted VHF both die somehow. Battery life and a good antenna were my primary concerns.

Note though that any model with the lithium-ion batteries is rather pricey, I think I paid $180 or so for my M1V.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

attn: John R.

Hi John.

well you did your home work thats good,

but i am a manager for a marine store and i can tell you buy returns that and the most bought, and all the complaintes from our customers.

uniden has the highest returns of them all.
they may be the lowest in price.
they do not hold up very well.

then comes ray marina has a lot of good products, i like them.
but they have allot of returns as well.
there fixit VHF is one of the best.

garmin makes very nice models as well.
but they are high in price. but there returns is less.

then comes icom and standard.
having both of these models my self they are the better ones to buy, i think.
standard is a higher in price on all there units on ever thing.
icom are less in prices mainly because of the other models.
both icom and standard have the least amount of returns of them all.

you see,
i see it from the store view and what everone likes and dislikes.
thats what i go on.

if i went thru all my electronics i have all the brands.

my gps are garmin and magellan and lowrance.
(all of them are different models from each other)

vhf is icom 2 and 3 hand helds, dash model is raymaine

fish finder is humminbird.

radar is ray marine

compass are uniden, saturn as well 4" and temperature gauge is uniden

wind and speed si-tex

auto pilot is auto helm 4ooo which is raymarina

stereo jeason with poly planners speakers

as you can see i have all the different brands, i wish they all came in the same color, because any time someone comes on board thats the first thing they say about all the colors.
but thats all right.

winthrop

John R wrote:Recently I went through this decision process. I spent a lot of time evaluating many of the current handhelds on the market. I downloaded many owners manuals and technical sheets. I made phone calls to three of the largest producers today, Standard, Icom and Uniden. I have basically always been an Icom fan. However, these days I think Icom is losing some of their past stature to Standard and even to Uniden in the handheld VHF market. There is no question Uniden has the market by the throat when it comes to size and features with their Voyager model, they have set the bar with that model. It's well made, it has a very soft and pliable antenna which is important for a handheld if you want to put it in your pocket and expect it to stay there. It is light. It has a very tough and lightweight polycarbonate case unlike the ABS plastic that Icom uses. It is ergonomic. Standards best competitors in the small and compact size range are the HX460 and 461. Both are very well made radios. They have a magnesium chassis and case, they are very compact but slightly heavier than the Uniden Voyager. The 460 has a good features and the 461 has more features than any handheld on the market being that it also receives AM/FM and can also be used for FRS radio functions, it also receives aviation frequencies. It also has a personal signaling strobe on the ffront panel. The caveat with this radio is the non-removable antenna and also the antenna is longer than average and it is very stiff, similar to Icom antennas.

Icom has two nice *compact* radios, the M88 and the M1V. The M88 is very compact but it is slightly thick so somewhat bulky in that regard. The antenna is very stiff. It will accept a AA pack but the radio becomes another 1/4" thicker when you use that pack and that makes it too bulky for an average pocket but would be okay in a foul weather jacket pocket. It is not a ergonomic radio at all, the buttons are at the bottom of the face and that makes it awkward in the hand to use. It comes with a drop-in charger. It is expensive for what you get. Not a good value in my opinion. The M1V is a nice radio, it is very ergonomic, better than all the other compacts, all front panel control buttons can be operated with just your thumb (excellent). The problem with the M1V is the squelch knob, it develops a snap or click in it and some slop after some usage. Something happens to it internally. Several demo models in the stores that I looked at and handled had the problem but if you handle a brand new one right out of the box the knob will feel fine. This is a concern with the M1V. The entire on/off and collared squelch knob assembly is a shoddy design, it seems cheap and it sticks up quite high. The radio has a very lousy belt clip, not a secure hinged type, it is a thin plastic friction type. Again, quite shoddy for Icom. The antenna is quite a bit stiffer than the Standards and the Uniden and it is longer. It will not accept a AA pack. The Standards will use a AA pack but only on 1 (maybe 2.5 watt, I've forgotten) watt transmission for a restricted period of time. The AA pack will cost you extra for the Standard radios mentioned and the Icom M88.

The Uniden Voyager has a lot going for it from a *great value* perspective. Flat rate replacement charge after 3 year warranty expires is only about $45. It has a SAME weather alert that no other handheld made by anyone has. That alert is a local special alert automatically generated for your immediate area. One problem though....the radio must be set on a weather frequency for this feature to work. It won't alert you if you are on a working or hailing channel. The regular weather alert will, just like on all the other radios mentioned. This radio is a excellent buy on the web, as low as $135 if you search around. In that regard it is a best buy in a *compact* VHF handheld I believe.

I bought a Standard HX460s because it was almost as small as the Voyager, it is built like a tank. It has a very good display, the antenna is a reasonable length and it is very flexible and removable (these antenna features were important to me). It came with two power adapters 12V and 110V but a drop in charger is optional. I got a very good rare deal on this radio and that is what convinced me to purchase it (value!).

Many of these radios have similar features but you must read the fine print in the owners manuals to make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Some handhelds will say they work with a AA pack but they will not all be able to use the same type of batteries. Some will only use alkalines because the AA adapters have no over current protection for the radio. You can take your chances and install memory free nickel metal hydrides but you will void the warranty if there is a problem. Other adapters will work with NiMh batteries. Some will only provide low watt usage. Some radios come with drop in chargers and others only an AC power adapter. Some have a 12V adapter and some not. All have three year warranties mostly but the catch is what happens after the warranty period? Be sure to check the flat rate costs after warranty expires for each brand. Don't overlook the West and Boat US extended warranty policy for electronics. The terms are great, especially when you consider it for any handheld electronic device like a VHF or GPS.

Next is battery replacement costs, obviously the Lithium Ion packs are the most expensive running about $80 and up, except for that Uniden Voyager, it's only $45. Something to think about. How much standby time do the various battery packs provide between charges?

Then you have all the other handhelds by all these manufacturers. Most are pretty bulky and heavy. Not my cup of tea but some people don't mind them. The same criteria applies to all those radios as well. The bottom line is all these radios are pretty comparable in their electronics. and their basic warranties. The real issues are ergonomics, compactness, weight, accessories, battery life, and last but not least *value*.

By the way, I am very pleased with the Standard 460. I did purchase at additional cost a drop in charger unit. I would have no problem recommending this radio as a tough, well made, well featured workhorse of a radio and I would rate it as high if not higher than any Icom I have previously owned. A big problem I had during my search and evaluation was finsing working demo units at suppliers so I could make honest comparsions of how they functioned. I hope all this yaking is helpful to you or others. Good luck.
John R

Electronics returns

Post by John R »

Hi Winthrop,

I think perhaps you may have misunderstood my post. I'll try and be clearer on my point. I understand that Uniden may have a higher return rate on average but that is not necessarily due to the product per se because they sell many more radios than any other brand in the first place. They have a huge market share because they are very economical and some models like the Voyager offer a lot of bang for the buck. They also sell many radios under private labeling like West Marine radios as an example. If you speak with a West store manager, (I know two of them on a friend basis) they will tell you that they have a very low return rate on their West private brand radios. That is Uniden. In my remarks I was not saying every Uniden is a good radio and I did not say every single Icom or Standard is a good radio either. My comments were in regard to five specific *compact* radio models. I gave a quite favorable personal opinion of the Voyager because it appears to be a very nice radio. I personally would have purchased it had I not obtained an exceptional price on the Standard 460. The reason I would have chosen the Voyager is because of the *value* that radio appears to be in the handheld marketplace with a very good price available on the web. My comparison of all those radios was from a value point of view. Value to mean... price and radio quality.I would select any of the three brands of those radios in their better model range. They will all be a good and dependable radio and certainly some better than others but price at the time of sale and later maintenance pricing become a factor I believe.

FWIW, I have a Icom SSB, another Icom handheld VHF, a Apelco 501 handheld (Raytheon), a Standard hailer, a Uniden MC500 dual station VHF (1991), never a problem I might add, Trimble, Icom and Garmin GPS's and Raytheon loran. None of these items have caused me any problems except for battery issues with the Icom and Apelco(raytheon) handheld VHF's. This battery issue is very important when selecting a handheld and in this day and age of battery technology a buyer needs to consider that future cost. The Uniden Voyager excels in that regard, it's Lithium Ion pack is half the price of the other brands and the radios flat rate repair after warranty expires is $45. Those aspects plus a web purchase cost of as low as $135 makes that radio a *great value* in my opinion. That was the point I was trying to make. I hope I've clarified my comments some.

[/u]
Bob C

Post by Bob C »

I needed a new radio for the boat and decided to get two: a portable and a fixed, instead of a more expensive fixed with remote displays/mic's. If I can get both working, this gives me two radios instead of just one, and I can keep the handheld close by when I only need short-range communications.

I've been very happy with the handheld, an Icom M2A. I have yet to get the Standard Horizon Quest 25 watt radio to transmit with any power, so the M2A has served as my main radio. I thought it was the mast-mount antenna or coax, but a recent test into a dummy load suggest the radio is bad.

Bob
CD27
Everett, WA
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: Electronics returns

Hi John.R.

all i was doing was giving you a point of view from all the feed back i get from working in the marine stores.... thats all...
i have been in the marina business sense 1980 thats want i do.
thats all, i am sorry you took it the wrong way.
winthrop

John R wrote:Hi Winthrop,

I think perhaps you may have misunderstood my post. I'll try and be clearer on my point. I understand that Uniden may have a higher return rate on average but that is not necessarily due to the product per se because they sell many more radios than any other brand in the first place. They have a huge market share because they are very economical and some models like the Voyager offer a lot of bang for the buck. They also sell many radios under private labeling like West Marine radios as an example. If you speak with a West store manager, (I know two of them on a friend basis) they will tell you that they have a very low return rate on their West private brand radios. That is Uniden. In my remarks I was not saying every Uniden is a good radio and I did not say every single Icom or Standard is a good radio either. My comments were in regard to five specific *compact* radio models. I gave a quite favorable personal opinion of the Voyager because it appears to be a very nice radio. I personally would have purchased it had I not obtained an exceptional price on the Standard 460. The reason I would have chosen the Voyager is because of the *value* that radio appears to be in the handheld marketplace with a very good price available on the web. My comparison of all those radios was from a value point of view. Value to mean... price and radio quality.I would select any of the three brands of those radios in their better model range. They will all be a good and dependable radio and certainly some better than others but price at the time of sale and later maintenance pricing become a factor I believe.

FWIW, I have a Icom SSB, another Icom handheld VHF, a Apelco 501 handheld (Raytheon), a Standard hailer, a Uniden MC500 dual station VHF (1991), never a problem I might add, Trimble, Icom and Garmin GPS's and Raytheon loran. None of these items have caused me any problems except for battery issues with the Icom and Apelco(raytheon) handheld VHF's. This battery issue is very important when selecting a handheld and in this day and age of battery technology a buyer needs to consider that future cost. The Uniden Voyager excels in that regard, it's Lithium Ion pack is half the price of the other brands and the radios flat rate repair after warranty expires is $45. Those aspects plus a web purchase cost of as low as $135 makes that radio a *great value* in my opinion. That was the point I was trying to make. I hope I've clarified my comments some.

[/u]
John R

Post by John R »

No problem Winthrop, just thought maybe you didn't understand what I meant to say in the original post and I thought it a good idea to clarify a bit.