CD 28 Dorade box cowl opening diameter

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

danwhite

CD 28 Dorade box cowl opening diameter

Post by danwhite »

Hi Folks,

I just bought a CD 28, which is unfortunately many hundreds of miles away from where I live. The local boat show is coming up and I would like to buy a nice brass cowl vent for the dorade box. Two diameters are common: 3" and 4". Does anyone know what size the opening is on CD 28's? THANKS!

Dan White
Halifax, Nova Scotia
John Ring

3"

Post by John Ring »

Dan,

My 1979 CD28 has a pair of 3 inch low profile aft of the cockpit, and a single 3 inch dorade style that sits atop the teak dorade box just port of the mast. I bought a set of stainless ones from Mariner's Hardware, with dark blue powdercoat interiors that match my boat's canvas. They look very nice.

Best,
John Ring
CD28 #241 Tantalus
Boston
Ed Haley

3 inch opening

Post by Ed Haley »

Just wondering which one you plan to purchase. The bronze cowl from Mariners Hardware is the type we installed on our CD330. Instead of replacing with the 3 inch cowl which looked too puny, we went with the 4 inch cowl and had no problem with installation. Mariners Hardware will allow you to send back an item that you decide will not work so that you can go with something else. But the CD28 has a 3 inch dorade.
danwhite

RE: Dorade box opening question

Post by danwhite »

Thanks for the reply, fellas!

I had considered just going with a 4", and then I figured I could enlarge the opening if it was 3". My only fear there was whether or not the box had sufficient space for the larger opening. So it's nice to get that supplemental information that a 4" is possible.

THANKS AGAIN!

Dan White