cabinet latches

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Russell

cabinet latches

Post by Russell »

Most of my cabinet latches are shot, no spring in them anymore. Trying to find replacements and wonder if anyone had a line one a place that has them cheap? I found two different ones, plastic ones for $3.13 each, and brass ones for $4.50 each, I would prefer the brass ones for durability, but at $4.50 each and replacing all the latches that would be like $100 on latches! Definately want cheaper then that.

This is what I am talking about:

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/4,8150.html
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Post by Parfait's Provider »

You might try pulling a latch or two and trying to reduce the friction between the catch and the frame. I know it would seem that plastic against plastic ought to be pretty slippery, but I can assure you that a bit of lubrication will do wonders. A silicone spray, like the aerospace stuff, ought to do the trick. Petroleum-based lubricants may have a deleterious affect on the plastic.

I think there was one latch that I disassembled and had to work on the pin itself. Whether you can save enough to make this worthwhile is doubtful, but if time is what you have to spend, the latches can be repaired. The springs are probably fine.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
s.v. LaVida
Location: LaVida is a Cape Dory 33, Hull#40 Homeport of Olcott,NY

speaking of latches

Post by s.v. LaVida »

I'd like to find a way to secure the doors in heavy weather, as previous poundings have popped open some doors.

Anyone have any slick solutions to dog them shut WITHOUT having to drill, cut or modify the locker door?

thanks,
Mike
LaVida
Parfait's Provider

you could place a bracket or batten with a captive nut inside the frame and embed a stud in a ball larger than the finger hole to insert into the nut when offshore.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
s.v. LaVida
Location: LaVida is a Cape Dory 33, Hull#40 Homeport of Olcott,NY

great idea Ken

Post by s.v. LaVida »

Good idea, any thoughts on how I would hold the "batten" level, while screwing the stud home, to insure it would catch both sides of the frame?

Perhaps a little bracket on both sides that I would drop into and automatically line up with the stud.

It would have to be offset enough to clear the existing locking mechanism.....................

Mike
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: cabinet latches

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi.
many years ago i found that sears had some of them in hardware section in the store and they were cheap but good, so i bought three dozen of them for ($26). so before you buy them check around in department stores and hardware stores and you will be surprised what you find. i don't all was get ever thing from boat stores or whole sales. try it. :roll: it will take a little longer.
winthrop

Russell wrote:Most of my cabinet latches are shot, no spring in them anymore. Trying to find replacements and wonder if anyone had a line one a place that has them cheap? I found two different ones, plastic ones for $3.13 each, and brass ones for $4.50 each, I would prefer the brass ones for durability, but at $4.50 each and replacing all the latches that would be like $100 on latches! Definately want cheaper then that.

This is what I am talking about:

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/4,8150.html
Parfait's Provider

I think that link shows them at $4.50 a pair, not each.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Tod Mills

I rather like these latches

Post by Tod Mills »

...although I don't know where to buy them. This was taken aboard a Saga (Canadian-built, I think) at last fall's Annapolis Show. Probably if you contacted Saga they could fix you up.

[img]http://www.bright.net/~htmills/latches.jpg[/img]