CD 25D Water lift muffler

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bob

CD 25D Water lift muffler

Post by Bob »

Can any 25D owner advise if your water lift muffler is mounted parrel to the water line or does it match the slant angle of the motor. I'm in the process of trying to determine why when Yanmar 1Gm motor emits a loud and offensive raspy exhaust sound when motor reaches 2200 rpms and above.... sound is accompanied by froth and foaming steam as opposed to normal running water with exhaust... the sound is pulsing and intermittent... as if there is no muffler at all.. This all began after replacement of old original water lift with a new one from Centek Industries... after emailing them they are now asking questions about location to water line and distances from motor to inlet and from muffler to transom... these questions are coming from their engineering dept.... Has anyone experienced this problem ... if so ... how was it remedied ? Thanks in advance to those how reply.... Bob Palm Harbor Fl
Kurt
9' Dyer,
Grosse Pointe, Michigan

Post by Kurt »

I would imagine the bottom of the muffler needs to be parallel with the water line regardless of the angle of the engine. To a certain extent, the proper operation/performance of a water lift muffler depends on gravity to evenly fill the bottom of the muffler.

Do you have a side inlet muffler installed? Or is both the inlet and outlet coming in from the top?
Ron Turner
Oriental, NC

Post by Ron Turner »

Ron Turner
Dick Barthel

Yanmar help

Post by Dick Barthel »

Bob,

I can't help you with your answer but you might try posting on this site which has a forum:

http://yanmarhelp.com/index.htm

There is another site where you actually submit your question by email and you get a response from an expert (I think he might be in England). I see if I can find the address.

Good luck,

Dick
Dick Barthel

Follow up

Post by Dick Barthel »

Bob,

I checked my favorites list and went back to the site “yanmarhelp” and it turns out that site has both an email for help and a forum option.

If you check the archives, about two years ago, I posted about a problem of water backing up and causing damage to the engine. We couldn’t tell if it was one event or long time corrosion but the best guess was the latter. As I recall, no one else on the board had experienced anything similar.

After repairs to the engine, my mechanic installed a check value to prevent any recurrences. He continually says he doesn’t like the factory arrangement but I take the position with a 20+ year old engine, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Every time he goes near my little yanmar, I hear a loud sucking sound which I’ve traced to an area near my wallet.

Be sure to post and let us all know what you find out.

Dick