Cetol

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

rschattman

Cetol

Post by rschattman »

"Solstice" was finished with Cetol which is in need to freshening. While I am not a big fan of the look of Cetol, it is what is on all the bright work. I have never used it before. Any suggestions for application? Can it be used effectively for touch up without looking like patch work? Any suggestions?
Richard Schattman
-------------------------------------------

Hailing Port: Mallatts Bay, Vermont

Post by Guest »

Its a lot easyer to touch up than varnish. Rough it up sand a little and re apply. There is a lighter cetol now. Lighter than the honey colored stuff.
David van den Burgh

Cetol

Post by David van den Burgh »

Richard,

In our experience, touch-ups look fine as long as you don't rough up the area first. If you rough up only a small section, you will end up with two distinct shades - the "patchy" look you mentioned.

David
DanaVin
Location: Cape Dory 25, "Gladys Erzella", San Diego Bay--1977, Hull #541

Love Cetol!

Post by DanaVin »

The harbormaster told me to try it. I did. I love the stuff.
It's lasted longer than I thought. Still looks good after a full year although when I return, I think I'll apply another coat or two.
Thanks
Dana
Mike Rodriguez

CD30C "Sunshine" #233
Roosevelt Roads NAS Puerto Rico

Cetol

Post by Mike Rodriguez »

Hi Richard, I use cetol in the blazing sun of Puerto Rico and it has worked very well for me. I am now getting ready to remove the coat thats been on for three years and reapply a new one. If I had touched it up a year ago I wouldn't have to remove it. I put on two coats of the "light" and then four to five coats of the "gloss.

Happy Sailing
Mike R.