Advice for a winch upgrade

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Tod Mills

I recently polled owners on another list with this same....

Post by Tod Mills »

I recently polled owners on another list (Tartan) with this same question as I will be replacing the 32 y.o. winches on my boat. All but one person recommended Andersen ST's and that person recommended Lewmar's. Several people commented that they liked the ribs better than the textured (knurled?) drums of most winches.

Don't know that they are available in bronze, though, an important consideration for the aesthetics of a CD.

FWIW,

Tod
greg phillips
Seasprite 34 "Sarah".
Brooklin, Maine

Linda Lou location

Post by greg phillips »

Vern, This past summer was the first season for Linda Lou to be back in New England. The Gulf of Mexico has been her home before mooring in the Benjamin River. We had many great days and quick sails out into the Reach last summer. Center Harbor would have been closer to the house but mooring availability is tight. I have a spot in Benjamin River for this coming season but, Linda Lou is for sale now. We bought a Luders 34 and are having her fixed up in Penobscot. To take full advantage of the cruising at hand the larger boat is what we need. When you sail our way next summer get in touch...I may still be out on #469 on occasion. Greg

Re: harken

Post by Guest »

[quote="isaac"]

Dear Isaac, please may I ask what model from where you got the harken self tailing winches.
my email address is: captaintonyb@hotmail.com

cheers Tony.
Vern Campbell

Post by Vern Campbell »

Thanks again everyone for your input and ideas. The members of this board are unmatched in their willingness to help and in the camaraderie shown to all.

Isaac, I would be very interested in knowing what model Harken you used, and more specifics on how you reinforced the coaming. I am planning to remove, repair, and refinish my coamings and this would be a good time to modify them.

Greg, congratulations on your Luders 34. You are in the ideal location for some great cruising, and of course Penobscot Bay has some of the best daysailing destinations too. I'll give you a shout when I am in your area. It's nice to think about summer sailing today as I look out my window at the snowstorm. School has been cancelled for the second day in a row. I'm sure my students are doing the happy dance.

Vern
oh-buoy

ST winches

Post by oh-buoy »

I think ST winches on small a boat are not worth much. My experience (25D with 30ST Lewars) is that takes more effort to wrap (cleat) the sheet around the barrel far out weighs the effort to loosen (uncleat) it for final adjustment. I always sheet-in and then let the line out for the proper tension. The STs can't do that -- you must "uncleat" the jaw. A couple of properly placed jam cleats wlll do the job better.

Don Sargeant
~~COQUINA~~
CD25D #189
Shivering in Greenwich Cove
Vern Campbell

Post by Vern Campbell »

Don, you make a good point. Sheeting in and then easing off to set the sail is how I was taught, and still do. My interest in the ST's is that I am losing my eyesight--I have none now in my left eye, and little peripheral in my right. So I am much "busier" in the cockpit doing what was simpler before. The jam cleats are a good idea, and worth considering. Thanks for your input.
Vern
rtbates

for o-bouy

Post by rtbates »

You wrote
I think ST winches on small a boat are not worth much. My experience (25D with 30ST Lewars) is that takes more effort to wrap (cleat) the sheet around the barrel far out weighs the effort to loosen (uncleat) it for final adjustment. I always sheet-in and then let the line out for the proper tension. The STs can't do that -- you must "uncleat" the jaw. A couple of properly placed jam cleats wlll do the job better.
You're using the ST WRONG. Unlike regular winches where you over trim and then release with an ST you UNDER trim and then winch it home. Want to pull genoa in while sailing single handed? Just grab the winch handle and crank. No need to remove your other hand from the tiller or set your beer down.

Randy 25D Seraph #161
Vern Campbell

Post by Vern Campbell »

Randy, that's exactly what I envisioned as a boon to my singlehanding ability. As I mentioned in a previous post, I am compensating for limited sight. I have to do a lot more rubbernecking to see what is going on around me now, and the ability to work the winch with one hand will help me alot. Plus, I spilled several beers last summer, and I definitely want to avoid that in the future. It's just sad to see a grown man cry. That being said, I ordered the Andersen ST's yesterday.
Vern