CD36 batteries

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Russell

CD36 batteries

Post by Russell »

Well I have decided to replace my batteries, they do not seem to be holding a charge anymore. I wanted to see where others put their batteries in their CD36.

I have right now four 6v batteries for a total of 420 amp hours for the house bank. Two located in the port cockpit locker, along with the start battery, and two in the aft lazarette.

I would like to keep the same capacity bank or larger with the new batteries. I am thinking perhaps two 8D gels or AGMs. Anyone have 8Ds in their 36? where did you put them? If you dont have 8Ds, what do you have and where?

I worry about all the weight aft, especially since I am adding a wind vane, wind generator, solar panels and adding a stern anchor, that is a lot of weight to be sitting on the extream end of the boat. So I would like to move batteries as far forward as possible.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Robinhood places the batteries under the seat just fwd of the galley sinks, very low and almost centered.
Russell

Post by Russell »

dalton wrote:Robinhood places the batteries under the seat just fwd of the galley sinks, very low and almost centered.
Yes, this seems like a good spot, but I do not think its big enough for a substantial battery bank.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

CD/36 Batteries

Post by Parfait's Provider »

Parfait has three batteries in the port locker. The starting battery is on a relatively high shelf outboard against the hull and the two house batteries sit on another shelf directly below the hatch. The 375 AH Rolls CH-375 6 volt house batteries are easy to service, but the starting battery requires a basting bulb and a mirror. The CH-375s weigh about 130# each, so being able to swing batteries slung from the boom between the pier and the hatch is very convenient.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
rschattman

8d locations

Post by rschattman »

I have 2 8d's placed under the starboard settee. The water tank was removed leaving three 30 gal tanks. If you are going to install in this area you must have sealed gels so as to address the passibility of flammable fumes.
Richard Schattman
-------------------------------------------

Hailing Port: Mallatts Bay, Vermont
Russell

Post by Russell »

Well, I bought the new batteries today. Decided to just stick with the current setup so I dont have to go building new shelves or running new wiring. One 6v in aft lazarette to starboard, one in the bottom of lazarette in the center, one on a shelf in the bottom of the port locker just behind the access hatch to engine room, and one on the origonal shelf with the start battery. I figure with the 6 volt batteries, since they are small, if I ever wanted to upgrade the bank and add 2 more it will be easier then if I got the two 8D batteries.

Went with AGMs, no more keeping an eye on the water levels, but ouch, pricey.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)