Electric Panel for 1977 CD25

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Frederick Schreiner

Electric Panel for 1977 CD25

Post by Frederick Schreiner »

Where can I find a new or good quality used electric panel for my 1977 CD25? I believe there was a place in RI or CT that had bought out some of the CD inventory when they went out of business. I bought a new set of ports there for my boat a few years ago, but have since lost the name and number of that business. Can anyone help? Thanks so much. Fred

fchrein@ycp.edu
wayne grenier

Re: Electric Panel for 1977 CD25

Post by wayne grenier »

Frederick Schreiner wrote: Where can I find a new or good quality used electric panel for my 1977 CD25? I believe there was a place in RI or CT that had bought out some of the CD inventory when they went out of business. I bought a new set of ports there for my boat a few years ago, but have since lost the name and number of that business. Can anyone help? Thanks so much. Fred
Bass Electronics-Salem Mass-they have a huge catalouge of styles and you basically make your own panel up over the phone with an engineer on the other side-and they mail it to you-completed-check them out-they probably have a web site-are you replacing only the panel and not considering rewiring your entire boat? a 1977 cd is an old boat and the wiring was substandard to begin with (just a warning)-

grenier100@comcast.net
greg phillips
Seasprite 34 "Sarah".
Brooklin, Maine

CD25 panel

Post by greg phillips »

I recently needed a new panel for my CD25 and ended up making one from scratch. I used sheet aluminum painted matte black and carefully laid out the the whole thing and drilled away. I even got a local vinyl sign maker to do a small CAPE DORY CO. logo for the top. One of the best features is that it is hinged on the right-hand side which makes working on it much easier. Lastly, it was a great exercise in getting to know my wiring.

Greg Phillips
CD25 #469 Linda Lou
Brookllin, ME.
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

CD/36 Panel ??

Post by Parfait's Provider »

We pulled the AC and DC panels from Parfait and replaced them with a Blue Sea Systems panel with many more circuits, meters, and new breaker/switches. If you are interested in those panels email me at parfaitNOSPAM@nc.rr.com (remove NOSPAM) and we can discuss condition, price, etc. They look OK to good, but I don't think I'd leave a single breaker and I might want to replace the switches as well.

If you want a CD panel, this might be the answer. If you want better functionality in the same space, you might want to consider a pair of Blue Seas panels or a combination AC/DC panel. A search on eBay will result in several sources. If you Google Blue Seas panels, you will find Broken Leg Dave who probably has the lowest prices if not the most reliable ordering system.

Keep on sailing,
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
LaVida

Bass Elec Panel

Post by LaVida »

We just took delivery of a newly designed panel from Bass for LaVida.

The workmanship is excellent and the staff at Bass are VERY good.

I think they would be worth looking at for your next panel.

Sea u,
Mike
DanaVin
Location: Cape Dory 25, "Gladys Erzella", San Diego Bay--1977, Hull #541

Rewiring CD25 and new panel-Questions...

Post by DanaVin »

Read this string with interest as rewiring GE is one item I've not done yet. I'd like to be able to bring both the mast wiring and the VHF antenna cable out the side of the mast and connect to their respective receptacles near the mast base. Has anyone done this? Is it possible to rewire those mast wires that seem to run inside the cabin top?
The idea of a swinging or hinged elec. panel sounds like a great idea! Any info, data or source for same would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
DanaVin
aja

Check out our CD 25 panel - photos

Post by aja »

I searched for an old post about the electrical panel - a lot of work but it came out great! :D :D :D

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... ical+panel

Diana
s/v aja
1977 cd25 #530
Fairhaven, MA

NE Fleet Member since 2002
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Re: Rewiring CD25 and new panel-Questions...

Post by Carter Brey »

DanaVin wrote:Read this string with interest as rewiring GE is one item I've not done yet. I'd like to be able to bring both the mast wiring and the VHF antenna cable out the side of the mast and connect to their respective receptacles near the mast base. Has anyone done this? Is it possible to rewire those mast wires that seem to run inside the cabin top?
The idea of a swinging or hinged elec. panel sounds like a great idea! Any info, data or source for same would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
DanaVin
Hi Dana--

I have some limited experience with this-- I don't recall if we discussed this when we went out for drinks in La Jolla. At any rate, there are probably folks more clever than I who can give you better advice-- but here's what I did.

I think you would find restringing wires through the cabin roof quite difficult because, although technically there is a void there between deck and liner, there's a lot of bonding putty as well as uneven thicknesses of the void in there. It's anything but a clear run from the mast step to the panel. In doing my rewiring, I first tried to use the old wires as guides to pull the new wires through, but they jammed. Same story using a snake.

What I ended up doing was to run my five-wire cable through the ceiling as far as the head-- in other words, all wires took a sharp turn to port after exiting the mast step. Then I drilled a one-inch diameter hole over the head, where it really has to be sought to be seen, and the cable exits the liner there (visible for only a few inches), to be led behind the bulkhead and behind the liner lip that runs along and over the shelves in the "salon" (I find it a bit comic to use that word in describing the linen closet-sized space that is the main cabin in a CD25). It enters the DC panel from the side, always hidden.

The old wires remain overhead inside the liner, clipped and useless, but at least out of the way and invisible.

Don't know if this helps; I'll try to send photos in the spring.

Best regards,
Carter
Nigel Noble

Bass Electronics

Post by Nigel Noble »

Does anyone have contact information for Bass Electronics in Salem Mass, please?
Nigel Noble
1976 CD 25 #419 s/v JANE
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Bass Products, Inc.

Post by Parfait's Provider »

Try:

Bass Products Inc.
50 Grove Street
Salem, MA 01970
(978) 744-2900
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Bill Member #250.
DanaVin
Location: Cape Dory 25, "Gladys Erzella", San Diego Bay--1977, Hull #541

Thanks, Carter!

Post by DanaVin »

Thanks for the info. Do you think that if I have the two sets of wires coming out the side of the mast that it would weaken the integrity of the mast that much? It's just that it is such a mess and crammed jumble of wires whenever we step the mast that I'm afraid one day we're going to short something out.
Did you rewire the rest of your boat?
Thanks,
Dana
By the way, Letty and still talk about that wonderful evening in La Jolla when we sat and talked sailing and especially our CD's for hours after your concert. What a great evening! Thanks again for some great memories.
Nigel Noble

Bass Products

Post by Nigel Noble »

Thanks Ken
Nigel Noble
1976 CD 25 #419 s/v JANE
Dave Brandt

Panel??

Post by Dave Brandt »

A friend of mine that is an electrical engineer for IBM said this company is really good and the price is reasonable.

http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/

I plan on using them, but have no direct experience with them yet.

Having a friend that is an electrical engineer is very handy when re-wiring a boat!!!!

Dave