Volvo engine/transmission

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bob Duffey

Volvo engine/transmission

Post by Bob Duffey »

Hi again

In further looking I just found out that the transmission on the TAMD 40B Volvo engine in the boat I am looking at is the Volvo MS3c transmission, not the other that has been mentioned-is anyone aware of any problems with this tranmssion or the engine/tranmission combination?

Thanks

Bob

RDuffey656@aol.com
john edwards

Re: Volvo engine/transmission

Post by john edwards »

Bob:

You ought to check w/ several well regarded Volvo dealers and inquire.
On ours we have the turbo 200 hooked up to the MS4A which is supposed to be the devil child.

However, all of the Volvo dealers I spoke w/ claimed that if used and maintained properly its a good transmission. They said the bad rep came mostly from twin engined "high performance" fishing boats, like rampages and black fins where these sport fisherman smash around the boat in their eager/desperate efforts to land their fish; jamming it into reverse and backing down on the fish... and so on.

So, I'd check w/ a few reputable volvo folks.

Good luck

JE
CD28FB

Bob Duffey wrote: Hi again

In further looking I just found out that the transmission on the TAMD 40B Volvo engine in the boat I am looking at is the Volvo MS3c transmission, not the other that has been mentioned-is anyone aware of any problems with this tranmssion or the engine/tranmission combination?

Thanks

Bob

je1449@aol.com
Bob Duffey

Post by Bob Duffey »

Thanks John

I did just that this afternoon, spoke with a highly regarded Volvoa machanic down here in Florida. He pretty much echoed what you said, and also said that the MS3c was a fairly problem free transmission in his experience.

He also sais that TAMD 40B is a good engine but wanred that it was becoming fucntionally obsolete, and parts would become very expensive for the engine, although supply of parts should not be a problem. He said that biggest problem with these engines was in the colling system, esspecially the heat exchanger.

Thanks again!

Bob
john edwards wrote: Bob:

On ours we have the turbo 200 hooked up to the MS4A which is supposed to be the devil child.

However, all of the Volvo dealers I spoke w/ claimed that if used and maintained properly its a good transmission. They said the bad rep came mostly from twin engined "high performance" fishing boats, like rampages and black fins where these sport fisherman smash around the boat in their eager/desperate efforts to land their fish; jamming it into reverse and backing down on the fish... and so on.

Good luck

JE
CD28FB

Thanks

Bob

RDuffey656@aol.com
john edwards

Post by john edwards »

Hi Bob:

I think with any engine used in salt water, the cooling systems need extra attention. My feeling is to always do preventative maintenance, as Ma nature is always ready to give us a run, why not try to control those few things that we can, by good maintenance.

All boat parts are expensive, but Volvo is truly sans humility

Best of luck

JE

Bob Duffey wrote: Thanks John

I did just that this afternoon, spoke with a highly regarded Volvoa machanic down here in Florida. He pretty much echoed what you said, and also said that the MS3c was a fairly problem free transmission in his experience.

He also sais that TAMD 40B is a good engine but wanred that it was becoming fucntionally obsolete, and parts would become very expensive for the engine, although supply of parts should not be a problem. He said that biggest problem with these engines was in the colling system, esspecially the heat exchanger.

Thanks again!

Bob
john edwards wrote: Bob:

Good luck

JE
CD28FB

Thanks

Bob

je1449@aol.com
john walden

Post by john walden »

I just replaced the exhaust elbow, re-conditioned the oil cooler, heat exchanger, and aftercooler at 3000 hours. I have a TAMD 40B. First time for this. Replace water pump impeller every other season. I had transmission problem the first year , but Volvo paid for the repairs. Cone clutch was slipping.