Stuffing box wrenches

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Gary L.

Stuffing box wrenches

Post by Gary L. »

Just a simple question regarding the use of stuffing box wrenches. Does a simple minded sailor like myself have to purchase the Spartan Marine wrenches or can any old stuffing box wrench or commercial wrench do? Just need to check the packing, and/ or tighten the packing nut.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Gary Lapine
Selkie
CD30C, #339
Aucoot Cove
Mattapoisett MA

dory26@comcast.net
Ed Haley

Re: Stuffing box wrenches

Post by Ed Haley »

Gary:
You don't absolutely need the wrenches. I use an large pair (12 or 14 inch)of adjustable grip pliers to do the job.

I bought the Spartan wrenches for Mokita and then found out that the PO had changed the stuffing box and I no longer had the type of stuffing box that the wrenches fit. If you really want to buy a pair, I'll sell you both of mine for the price of one. They've never been used.

Ed Haley
s/v Mokita
CD330 #1
Kingston ON

eghaleyNOSPAM@twcny.rr.com
Ken Coit

Post by Ken Coit »

A small hammer and a long heavy duty screwdriver, carriage bolt or drift pin are quite effective and they fit in the space.

Ken
CD/36 Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Gary L. wrote: Just a simple question regarding the use of stuffing box wrenches. Does a simple minded sailor like myself have to purchase the Spartan Marine wrenches or can any old stuffing box wrench or commercial wrench do? Just need to check the packing, and/ or tighten the packing nut.

Gary Lapine
Selkie
CD30C, #339
Aucoot Cove
Mattapoisett MA

parfaitNOSPAM@nc.rr.com
Huw

Post by Huw »

Hello Ken.

An explanation of the hammer - screwdriver technique would be much appreciated. I've tried twice this season to get at my stuffing box with channel lock wrenches, but so far I've only managed to fray some nerves and some knuckles. I just can't seem to get the nut loose!

Thanks, Huw
cd30 156
Ken Coit wrote: A small hammer and a long heavy duty screwdriver, carriage bolt or drift pin are quite effective and they fit in the space.

Ken
CD/36 Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Gary L. wrote: Just a simple question regarding the use of stuffing box wrenches. Does a simple minded sailor like myself have to purchase the Spartan Marine wrenches or can any old stuffing box wrench or commercial wrench do? Just need to check the packing, and/ or tighten the packing nut.

Gary Lapine
Selkie
CD30C, #339
Aucoot Cove
Mattapoisett MA
Brett Miller

Post by Brett Miller »

Gary,

To unlock a stuck nut and for small adjustments, Ken's hammer and long screw driver method is absolutely the way to go. I do, however, have a set of the Spartan wrenches and I do find them helpful when repacking the stuffing box to get the nuts entirely unthreaded (or to re-thread). I found it difficult to hand loosen (or tighten)without the aid of some tool. Locking pliers or some other off-the-shelf item may work, but the Spartan wrenches made it easy for me. You may want to think about Ed's offer.

Brett
CD 36, Sublimation (No. 74)

Gary Lapine
Selkie
CD30C, #339
Aucoot Cove
Mattapoisett MA
Jason

How to use a hammer

Post by Jason »

Take long flat head screw driver place against packing nut notch.

Take the hammer and hit the end of said screw driver repeatedly just like it were a nail or any other object that you would use a hammer on.
Kevin L.

Pound on the Locking Nut, not the Packing Nut....

Post by Kevin L. »

Jason wrote: Take long flat head screw driver place against packing nut notch.

Take the hammer and hit the end of said screw driver repeatedly just like it were a nail or any other object that you would use a hammer on.

Full_Keel@comcast.net
Ken Coit

Re: Pound on the Locking Nut, not the Packing Nut....

Post by Ken Coit »

Trick is to hit the right nut in the right direction.

The aft most nut is the locking nut and it needs to be backed off towards the stern. Facing aft, you would turn it clockwise to move it away from the packing nut. The packing nut is loosened by turning it counterclockwise while facing aft. Installation is the opposite of this.

Good luck and keep on sailing,

Ken

Kevin L. wrote:
Jason wrote: Take long flat head screw driver place against packing nut notch.

Jason wrote:

parfaitNOSPAM@nc.rr.com
Ken Coit

Post by Ken Coit »

I guess I should admit that I used to have a set of Spartan wrenches. They fit fine in the 36. I tied a leather thong between them so there was some chance of recovering one if I dropped it. The pair can actually be operated with one hand, further enhancing the opportunity to make a bilge monster out of them. Wrist straps might be a good idea. I also recommend having a buddy system so there will be someone to call 911 when you get stuck.

Parfait has a DRY sump now that she sports a dripless PSS system, so I sold my wrenches to a well-known Cape Dory aficionado. How sweet it is.

Keep on sailing,

Ken
CD/36 Parfait
Raleigh, NC

Brett Miller wrote: Gary,

To unlock a stuck nut and for small adjustments, Ken's hammer and long screw driver method is absolutely the way to go. I do, however, have a set of the Spartan wrenches and I do find them helpful when repacking the stuffing box to get the nuts entirely unthreaded (or to re-thread). I found it difficult to hand loosen (or tighten)without the aid of some tool. Locking pliers or some other off-the-shelf item may work, but the Spartan wrenches made it easy for me. You may want to think about Ed's offer.

Brett
CD 36, Sublimation (No. 74)

Gary Lapine
Selkie
CD30C, #339
Aucoot Cove
Mattapoisett MA

parfaitNOSPAM@nc.rr.com
Joe Mac Phee

Post by Joe Mac Phee »

Ken,

Apparently there are more than one kind of stuffing box. On my CD-30, the Spartan stuffing box seems to be different from yours. On mine, the packing nut is the aft nut (the one closest to the propeller). The locking (jam) nut is the one forward (closest to the engine). Both nuts are on the same (right hand) threaded shaft and tighten and loosen in the same direction. Looking aft, loosen counterclockwise and tighten clockwise. I too have the Spartan wrenches for the stuffing box. The good news is that they are bronze and do not rust. The bad news is that they are bronze and when I drop them in the bilge my magnet will not retrieve them (hence the tether attaching the two together).

Since I removed and rebuilt the engine on my ketch which has the Yanmar installed backwards with a vee drive, I have become more brave about simply removing the vee drive to access the stuffing box or the shaft and its coupling.

I learn much from this site.

Happy sailing,

Joe
Ken Coit wrote: Trick is to hit the right nut in the right direction.

The aft most nut is the locking nut and it needs to be backed off towards the stern. Facing aft, you would turn it clockwise to move it away from the packing nut. The packing nut is loosened by turning it counterclockwise while facing aft. Installation is the opposite of this.

Ken

jvmacpheeNOSPAM@aol.com
Ken Coit

Post by Ken Coit »

Joe,

I am not sure how that could work. Are there exposed threads forward of the packing nut? What is the check nut threading onto? The engine side of Parfait's packing nut has a hole slightly larger than the shaft; there is nothing for a check nut to thread on to.

Parfait's packing nut is the most forward nut unless you count the skipper. Both it and the check nut, as Spartan calls it, move towards the prop when you turn them clockwise facing aft. In my view this is tightening the packing nut and loosening the check nut since the packing is getting more compressed and the check nut is not checking.

Figure 23 above may be helpful. The prop is to the right and the transmission to the left.

Keep on sailing,

Ken
CD/36 Parfait
Raleigh, NC

Joe Mac Phee wrote: Ken,

Apparently there are more than one kind of stuffing box. On my CD-30, the Spartan stuffing box seems to be different from yours. On mine, the packing nut is the aft nut (the one closest to the propeller). The locking (jam) nut is the one forward (closest to the engine). Both nuts are on the same (right hand) threaded shaft and tighten and loosen in the same direction. Looking aft, loosen counterclockwise and tighten clockwise. I too have the Spartan wrenches for the stuffing box. The good news is that they are bronze and do not rust. The bad news is that they are bronze and when I drop them in the bilge my magnet will not retrieve them (hence the tether attaching the two together).

Since I removed and rebuilt the engine on my ketch which has the Yanmar installed backwards with a vee drive, I have become more brave about simply removing the vee drive to access the stuffing box or the shaft and its coupling.

Happy sailing,

Joe

Ken

parfaitNOSPAM@nc.rr.com
Bill - Dulcie

Post by Bill - Dulcie »

When you cut the new packing, cut it at a 45 degree angle so the ends will lap, thus avoiding a seam through which the water can drip.
JOe Mac Phee

Thanks Ken

Post by JOe Mac Phee »

Ken,

You are correct. Thank you for the picture. It was last year when I last had this device in my hands at the bench. In the ensuing year, my brain had transposed the front and back of the stuffing box... Sorry to create any confusion.

Joe
Ken Coit wrote: Joe,

I am not sure how that could work. Are there exposed threads forward of the packing nut? What is the check nut threading onto? The engine side of Parfait's packing nut has a hole slightly larger than the shaft; there is nothing for a check nut to thread on to.

Parfait's packing nut is the most forward nut unless you count the skipper. Both it and the check nut, as Spartan calls it, move towards the prop when you turn them clockwise facing aft. In my view this is tightening the packing nut and loosening the check nut since the packing is getting more compressed and the check nut is not checking.

Figure 23 above may be helpful. The prop is to the right and the transmission to the left.

Keep on sailing,

Ken
CD/36 Parfait
Raleigh, NC

Joe Mac Phee wrote: Ken,

Happy sailing,

Joe

Ken

jvmacpheeNOSPAM@aol.com
Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

What Do I Need For My CD 36?

Post by Evergreen »

Hello:

I was just looking into buying a pair of Spartan Stuffing Box Wrenches but was unable to figure out which set to buy.

The manual that came with my Cape Dory 36 states that is have a B162 stuffing box. However, when looking in the Spartan catalog I can find no mention of the B162. I was wondering if the box number provided in the Cape Dory manual was in error (it would not be the first I have found).

Question: Does anyone know the correct stuffing box number for a CD36 or perhaps the shaft size??? One must know these facts in order to get the appropriate wrenches.

Thanks so much, Philip & Sharon
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)
bottomscraper

RE: What Do I Need For My CD 36?

Post by bottomscraper »

Call Spartan they probably know. They are friendly helpful people!
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com