Gel Coat

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dana Arenius

Gel Coat

Post by Dana Arenius »

Hi Folks,

Like many of you, my Cape Dory does suffer from the development of cosmetic stress cracks in the gel coat. In the 1980s, I was able to purchase what gel coat I needed for self-inflicted boat hull scratches from the Cape Dory factory. When I have worked with factory supplied gel coat, the work was easier and the result was very, very good. Today it is a little more difficult. Since I have developed a couple of cosmetic deck gel coat cracks, I have been looking for a supplier of gel coat. None of the present builders who have the old Cape Dory molds have been able to help me. But I still had a number of deck hole cores which I orginally drilled for compasses, logmeter, bilge pump, etc. Since these holes were done when the boat was new, they are fairly representative of the orginal color. I have sent one of these to the company below to make matched gel coat for the work I have planned.

This supplier can make matched gel coat in one quart size at a reasonable cost. Since many of you may be interested, I will let you know how I make out.
My Cape Dory is a 1985 model built in late 1984.

Gel-Coat Products
P.O. Box 17336
Seattle, WA 98107
(T) 206-781-1162
(F) 206-781-3177
WWW.marinenetwork.com/pnw/gcp/products.html

Wish me luck......Dana

arenius@jlab.org