CD 25

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

ANDREW SHYKA

CD 25

Post by ANDREW SHYKA »

I have water in side of keel, at base near rudder. how did it get there and how can I get it out and how to avoid this happening again if poss.

shyka@javanet.com
Jerry Hammernik

Re: CD 25

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

I had the same thing happen to me a number of years ago. (This is my 20th summer with the boat coming up.) It's harder to describe in words than with a picture, but let me give it a shot. I was sanding the bottom one spring and noticed water weeping from this area. I eventually drilled a small hole and got water flowing out. This really scared me. I didn't want to take any chances with an unsafe condition, so I did something I normally never do. I took it to the professionals. I trailered it to Palmer Johnson in Racine, WI. They cut a hole out to remove the water. They explained it as a void space between the two sides of the boat. They felt the water had come from condensation over the years. They filled the void space with epoxy and then fiberglassed the hole. They covered the repair with Interprotect 2000/2001 which I have on the hull as a preventative measure. They remarked on the thickness of the fiberglass in the hull. The repair guy said "that thing is built like a battleship". The plug they removed was a 1/2 inch thick! The hole they made was about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. I've watched it since and have seen no further problems. I checked the paperwork and I had it done in May of 90. They charged me for 4 3/4 hours labor. Total bill at that time was $187.91. I thought that was fair, especially for the peace of mind it gave me. If I can help with any other information drop me an E-mail at dauntles@execpc.com. Good Luck!

dauntles@execpc.com