dockline length

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Megunticook

dockline length

Post by Megunticook »

Standard advice seems to be 2/3 boat length for bow and stern lines, full boat length for spring lines. Wondering about going a little bit longer on the bow and stern lines, as when single handing I like to have the bowline handy to me in the cockpit (I run it back along the lifeline and then tie it to the aft stanchion which I can easily reach). Since the bow line runs forward from the cleat to the chock for several feet, seems like a little extra length would be handy.

Also sometimes when I'm on a dock moving the boat and the wind is blowing the boat away from the dock I like to have one line in my hand while I uncleat the other line so the bow (or stern) doesn't get blown out away from the dock. There've also been a few occasions where I've need to spin the boat around at the dock and having extra length would help in that situation.

What length is everyone using here?
Jim Walsh

Re: dockline length

Post by Jim Walsh »

The docklines which remain at my slip are 25 footers since they remain in place, I just slip the loop onto my cleats and no adjustment is required upon arrival or departure. The docklines I keep aboard “just in case” are 35 footers as you never know how the pilings or slips will be arranged. The extra length is handy when approaching a fuel pump if an attendant is available to throw a line to.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

I use 30 feet or a little longer for bow, stern and spring. Like Jim, you never know what you'll encounter at some docks. And with the extra it's easier to shift the boat around. At our yacht club lift we have to tie off to the fuel dock then turn immediately 90 degrees into the pit. The longer lines are really helpful for that maneuver!
Jeff
Megunticook

Post by Megunticook »

Thanks, sounds like two vote for longer lines. You guys must be good at those Flemish coils! That's the only downside I suppose to having a lot of extra line at a cleat, but plenty of situations where the long line can make life easier or--in some cases--might even save your butt in a jam.

I've already made up new spring lines at 25', I think I'll bump my bow and dock lines from 14 to 18 feet.

Pretty soon I'm going to be able to do an three-strand eye splice with my eyes closed!