CD 22 Rudder Issue

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

sampson57

CD 22 Rudder Issue

Post by sampson57 »

Hello CD Lovers,

Yesterday I noticed a little bit of play between my tiller and my rudder post. It seemed worse than usual, but that might be my imagination as the conditions led to more correcting to be done. Is this something to be concerned about now, or can I wait to the off-season to address it? How does one go about fixing it anyway?

Thanks very much for your help.

Chris
s2sailorlis

Re: CD 22 Rudder Issue

Post by s2sailorlis »

What part exactly? The tiller fitting to the rudder post? Or the tiller itself wiggling in tiller fitting? A while back I just used a very thin stainless washer and it’s been fine since.

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
Megunticook

Post by Megunticook »

I have a bit of slop in mine too (Typhoon Senior). As long as the cap is secure to the actual rudder post I don't think you need to worry. I've fussed with it trying to eliminate the play but haven't fully succeeded yet. I think s2sailorlis's suggestion of a washer is a good idea, will try that. At one point I tightened down the nuts on the cap screws fastening the tiller handle to the cap which cured the slop but made the handle too stiff in its vertical up and down movement, so I loosened them back up.
sampson57

Post by sampson57 »

Thanks for the replies. I believe the connection from the tiller to the rudder post is tight. It is the post that has a little play in it.

Chris