Spotted: CD 30 MK II

Share photos of your boat as well as photos snapped from your boat. Show us how and where you use your boat.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Spotted: CD 30 MK II

Post by John Stone »

I spotted a CD 30 MK II in Ted and Todd's Boatyard, Beaufort NC on 4 June 2024. Looked to be in very good condition. This is one of the few Cape Dorys not designed by Carl Alberg. It was designed by Clive Dent. It's interesting how it sort of looks like a CD but is different enough that I did a double-take when I saw it. Once I started to look it over the differences jumped out. Obviously the portlights are different. The overall hull lines are a little harder edged. The stem is straight without a bit of spoon to it. The cut away forefoot is sharper. The rudder is different and also the transom has almost no counter to it. It's beamy too, much more than a standard 30. Very interesting. I wonder how it sails compared to a CD 30.
Attachments
IMG_4376.jpeg
Jim Walsh

Re: Spotted: CD 30 MK II

Post by Jim Walsh »

I’ve known about them but I’ve never met one in the flesh. Looks nice to me.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

I thought it a handsome boat too.
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

the lack of a keel stepped mast might throw some off. i think they should have carried the beam further aft. but the fit and finish of these boats was excellent.