Deck Fittings - CD27 Potential Rot Areas

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

sailor_grant

Deck Fittings - CD27 Potential Rot Areas

Post by sailor_grant »

Hi all -

I have uncovered significant core rot on my cape dory 27 due to my anchor chain hole on the bow not being properly installed, and now want to ensure there is no rot elsewhere. As a cape dory owner, we are always proud to say that all chain plates and stanchions are through solid glass, but I want to know what fittings are not through solid glass. Can anyone help me identify where I need to check? Below are some thoughts on potential water ingress points. Also, where is there solid fiberglass on deck (is the raised saloon solid glass?)

- diesel fill
- cleats on bow
- clean on aft deck
- through bolts on winches
- vent holes in aft lazarette
- dorade box
- dodger tie downs
- windows
- etc
hilbert

Re: Deck Fittings - CD27 Potential Rot Areas

Post by hilbert »

On my 1976 CD28:
  • The outer edges of the deck are solid for a few inches. Generally, this is enough for the width of the stanchion base, but not always. Some of the inner bolts were very close if not in cored deck.
  • The hull and the sides of the cabin are solid glass, but the cabin top is cored.
  • The cockpit floor is cored. Any holes in this floor (rudder post, etc.) should be checked.
  • If you boat has vents on the stern, then these holes should be checked.
  • Even the lazarette covers are cored and owners have had problems with water entering through the bolts on the hinges.
  • From your list, I would say:
    • diesel fill - Yes
    • cleats - Yes
    • winch stands that pass through deck - Yes
    • vent holes - Yes
    • dorade box - No
    • doger tie downs - Yes (owner installed?)
    • windows - No
Anything which is bolted or passes through cored fiberglass is suspect. Fittings should be removed and the holes over-drilled, filled with thickened epoxy and then drilled out again. When refitting hardware, I've used butyl tape as a sealant.

On larger holes (hawsers, vents, rudder, etc.) the core around the edge of the hole should be ground out and the void filled with thickened epoxy. Regardless of what epoxy you use, West System has good online reference material on this and anything else having to do with epoxy repairs.

If all this is a bit overwhelming, then take a deep breath and remember that these boats have been around for many decades and none of this is urgent.