Leoma arrival at Morro Bay CA

Cruising on your Cape Dory? Let us know your whereabouts and post cruise updates here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

JD-MDR

Re: Leoma arrival Hilo HI

Post by JD-MDR »

Everything is back togeather. I dont like all those hugh gaps in the seams. They get filled with food etc and then cockroaches. I will have to rebuild that at home.
IMG_1392.jpeg
My headsail should be back Monday and I will sail to the other side of this island. The Kona side is more upscale with resorts and marinas. Probably too expensive but there is a large anchorage over there
Attachments
IMG_1393.png
IMG_1394.png
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Here is a photo of Hilo Bay sampam harbor. I don’t think there are any more sampams here. They used to unload their catch at that fish market for auction. An old Hawaiian guy lives on that Pearson 30. He lets me tie my inflatable off his stern. He said I could bring my boat in if I want as his guest. I dont want to It’s to shallow. He gave me his card. It says Kingdom of the Hawaiian islands Harbor Master. There is so much algae. I cleaned it all off my water line this morning. I’m really gonna have to scrub the dinghey. I always wash and dry it so I can keep it in the v-berth. It’s 12 yrs old and still like new
Attachments
IMG_1397.jpeg
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Got my headsail (club jib) back the loft guys sent it to the wrong place so it had to go back and resend here. At least I’m not in a hurry. I would expect a sailmaker to go over the whole thing not just what’s obvious. It cost half the price I paid for new. I lubed all the hanks with an anti corrosion stuff and noticed several hanks look like they are cracked. I looked at my other jib and they seem to have a seam there. Are these cracked or is that how they are made???
Attachments
IMG_1407.jpeg
IMG_1408.png
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

It appears that the hank body is cast or forged and that is a seam which was not deburred cleanly. If you look closely at these photos you can see the seam is evident all around on an old hank of mine. You can file the seam lightly to ensure it is not a crack.
IMG_0356.jpeg
IMG_0355.jpeg
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Thanks Jim. That’s what I was hopeing.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

I really need to get out of this state. I mentioned earlier that I didn’t want to come here. I can’t get into a state marina. Need to have survey less that two yrs old and liability insurance for removal and disposal for $100,000. My insurance co will only cover the value of the boat. I got a survey before my new engine and paint job The guy said it was maximum for this old boat unless it was Bristol. Which still would not be close to That.
Monday I will set out and if it seems like I’ve improved the cracking noise issue I might just keep going North. It’s a good time to go North but too early to head to CA. Maybe I’ll go to Kodiak after all. I've been reading chats of other Cruisers. Everybody seems frustrated with the accomadations here.
I got fuel and water from the dinghy and will go to Walmart tomorrow for groceries
A guy on a 40’ cat advised me to move in to Reeds Bay. Much nicer. But no good cell signal. I dont really like anchoring in this shallow. 10’ at low water. In the photo. There is a pin where I was anchored. I still have to go about a mile around the point to the harbor where it’s safe to leave the dinghy
Attachments
IMG_1417.png
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

I was better off out by the breakwater. Too hot and sticky. Found termite wings on the deck. I’m out of here. Passing the North pt of the island. The cracking noise is gone. Fingers crossed. Maybe when I get to the westerlies w can post where I’m going. I think it’s time to go home.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

JDM
Glad to hear the cracking/popping noise is gone. You have had a heck of a voyage so far. The hard part is getting back to the states. Safe sailing. Be smart. Let us know where you are when you can.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

I received a Garmin in-reach text from John Doyle today. He is at 30°N-152°W which is about 600 NE of Honolulu HI. Making 5.5 kts. Reports he is headed for California. He will have to sail north though before he can turn east in order to get over the top of the pacific high.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

After all the trouble JD had with the “cracking” noise I just have to share the experience I had a few days ago. I’ve done my best to seek and cure any errant noises on Orion because they drive me nuts. It’s the intermittent ones that are most vexing as they are not consistently producing a sound. A few days ago a sound popped up on Orion while in the Gulf Stream. The Gulf Stream was unusually nasty, I described it via inReach text to my son as being in a washing machine riding a roller coaster. It was difficult just moving around in the cabin but using my fingertips I was able to feel the source of the low pitched squeak. It was a piece of trim capping a partial bulkhead where the trim met the molded headliner. I figured I’d have to listen to it until I made port. After a few more squeaks I took a drastic step to attempt an immediate interim fix. I jammed the blade of a putty knife into the offending gap. The noise immediately stopped!
Now that I’ve made port, proper remedial action will take place. All I need to do is increase the gap the width of a hacksaw blade, then I can put a bead of caulk there so it’s not a visible gap.

Sorry, left is up…
IMG_0456.jpeg
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Glad to be back in the states. I’m at Morro Bay. a most transient friendly club. Charges $1 ft/ day and I’m invited to pot luck happy hour and Wednesday bbq. Ill stay one week
The trip was pretty uneventful except about 8 days calm. I use the engine. The noise doesn’t bother me. I used to work in engine rooms with screaming Jimmys and never bothered with the ear muffs. The reason I decided not to go to Kodiak is because the boat is not ready. I was on close reach for 1000 miles. Leaking everywhere from the hull/deck seam. It has to be that. Ive bedded and rebedded the hardware so many times it just looks like they are still leaking. I can’t be that stupid. Ive watched every utube video I could find and followed the directions exactly. I’m getting ready to schedule work back at Ensenada to reseal the deck joint Probably March. Also the bow was dipping too much so I pulled the anchor chain back into the bilge alley and the inflatable to the main salon. When the water tank up there is empty I can put the inflatable back on the v-berth.
The Short wave fax is good here is a satalite image Showing the high I must get up and over
I got a few of these old fashion recordings. I like to listen to them
Attachments
IMG_1357.jpeg
IMG_1426.png
IMG_1428.jpeg
Last edited by JD-MDR on Jun 15th, '24, 06:30, edited 1 time in total.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Jim Walsh

Re: Leoma arrival at Morro Bay CA

Post by Jim Walsh »

Congratulations! Great news, glad to see you’re back safe and sound. You did a whole lot of sea miles over a short period of time. Great display of seamanship.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Superb sailing JDM. Would love to see write up about what worked and what did not along with other lessons learned. Welcome home.
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

A couple of notes. 1) I’m glad I didn’t waste money on solar panels. I think about 90% days were overcast. I don’t think it put out enough to be worth it. I really got tired of moving the one 50 watt panal I have around and having that cable laying around is annoying. My theory is find ways to not need electricity. I think electricity and salt water are not compatible anyway. 2). I’m also glad I didnt waste on interior refinishing. As I will be tearing into the bulkheads soon. I wont do much more than that till the deck/hull seal is fixed. 3) I will modify, what I’m calling bilge alley access so it isn’t such a nightmare to stow the anchor chain. There is a lot of space down there.
Also a lot of water gets in thru the cockpit locker hatches. I saw a steady stream running along the engine stringers. I know there is discussions on the forum about that. I will review soon
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510