CD 22 Questions...

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

sampson57

CD 22 Questions...

Post by sampson57 »

Hello everybody. Getting my CD 22 ready for the water and a few questions have come up:

1. I want to fill my bow tank with water to balance the boat, but I can't see how I can drain the tank in the fall. How does one do that?
2. Is there a trick to operating the pump handle in the sink? Mine won't pull out.
3. There's a battery health gauge on the electric panel. I just put in a a new battery, but the gauge is not operating. Any advice?
4. My boat is on a trailer, and I am thinking of launching myself. Have any of you stepped a CD 22 or Typhoon Senior mast yourself? How did it go? I'm a little nervous about it...

That should do it for now. Thanks!

Chris Sampson
Marion, MA
Carl Thunberg

Re: CD 22 Questions...

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Search the archives. Bly Hartley has posted how to safely step and unstep a mast using an A-frame and gin pole. I can't add anything to what Bly posted, but I can point you in the right direction.

I'm not personally familiar with the CD22, but from your description it doesn't sound like you have an electric fresh water pump. Either way, near the end of season, stop filling the bow tank and slowly draw it down from the sink. You can finish it off with a shop vac assuming you have good access to the fill port.

I'll let others with more expertise comment on questions 2 and 3.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
sampson57

Post by sampson57 »

Thanks, Carl. Using a shop vac to empty the tank is a great suggestion. I'll look for the posts by Bly Hartley. A friend of mine has an A-frame that we can use, but I'm just a little bit nervous about it.

I gave the pump handle some really vigorous pull this afternoon, and it came free. So question #2 has been resolved.

Chris
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

A real battery monitor is a great upgrade at a modest cost. A Victron BMV-712 Smart Monitor fits the same hole the old unit currently occupies and is easy to install. You will now be able to monitor your batteries health with a smartphone app. via Bluetooth which is very convenient.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
sampson57

Post by sampson57 »

That sounds great, Jim. Thanks for the tip.
CapeDory22

Post by CapeDory22 »

Thank you, Jim. I just discovered the identical issue with my CD22 battery meter... new battery; low voltage readout. Time for me to step into the 21st century.
LSD87

Post by LSD87 »

I replaced my battery meter too. Nothing fancy although Jim’s suggestion is a good one. I fill my water tank too. To empty it I use a hand held bilge pump. I pump it into the bilge and let the auto bilge pump handle it. I’ve also pumped into buckets or into the sink. Doesn’t take too long. Lastly I then make sure I get the last of the water out of the tank with rags and paper towels using a grabber tool and pump water out of the sink line. I cover the opening with a screen for air during winter storage.
Steve Dawson
CD22
sampson57

Post by sampson57 »

Thanks for the response, Steve. I will follow your suggestions.

Chris