New sails suggestions for a Typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Louish

New sails suggestions for a Typhoon

Post by Louish »

I am looking for suggestions on sail size and brands for a daysailer version of the typhoon. I sailed one season with the boat and would like to improve the combination of sails for better pointing. Right now I have a standard main and 150% furling Genoa from previous owner. I would like to be able to point a little bit higher. After talking to riggers, one suggested to get a working jib that would trim closer and a main sail with a larger roach. I like the idea of a smaller headsail as I often feel overpowered with the 150 and a jib will certainly trim better on top of the cuddy cabin. What do you think? What brands do you recommend between Doyle, Precision, Ullman, National Sails etc…?
The daysailer has a masthead rig.
LSD87

Re: New sails suggestions for a Typhoon

Post by LSD87 »

I just bought sails for the first time in my life. I’m starting my 3rd year as a sailor. The sails on my 22 were likely the originals. However a furler was added and it came with a 135. I had a similar problems as you describe. I decided to get a 100 jib as it was pointed out to me that the boat is balanced best with the sails it was designed with, basically using the original sail plan. I ended up getting 2 reefs in my main. I ended up going with a local loft called Tomelia Sails in Staatsburg NY. The sails were made right there at the loft. For me it was worth the extra money as there were things I didn’t know I didn’t know. So I got quite an education and the extra money was worth it for me. I did speak with Precision and they were very nice. Sorry I can’t offer more advise. I can’t wait to launch this year. Good luck!
Steve Dawson
CD22
kmulligan

Post by kmulligan »

I have a 1980 Typhoon Daysailer and have used Precision, Hyde and Recently Doyle sails for 90% working jibs. It's a small loft in St Petersburg but Doyle does excellent work. I only used a 150 hank-on genoa a few times and found it overpowering in anything more than 8-10 kts. I installed a CDI furler and have stuck with the 90% from the above sailmakers for the past seven years and won't ever bother with a larger sail.
Doug Pearce

Post by Doug Pearce »

Hi All,

Germane to the post by Louish. I am lake sailing my 1975 Typhoon Weekender. The older that I get, the less keen I am about going forward and changing out sails. Thus, I am having a CDI FF1 roller furler installed. Any thoughts on a 130 vs a 150 roller genoa? Thank you!
Doug Pearce
pjust

Post by pjust »

I bought a new mainsail for my Typhoon Weekender last year from Bonhndell Sails in Rockport, ME. They persuaded me to go with a loose-footed sail and I have been very, very happy with the decision.
Peter Just
Typhoon Weekender #602, Dolcetto, Spruce Head, ME
"It is not with impunity that we go out on the water, but with sufferance." - Roger C. Taylor
Bonacgirl

Post by Bonacgirl »

I have a CD Typhoon daysailer with a hank-on jib. I am getting too old to keep climbing up on the foredeck to take the sail down so I want to replace it with a roller furling jib (my jib is just a standard working jib as far as I can tell, presumably came with the boat in 1984). I would appreciate advice on how to go about this. Do I take the boat to a marina that deals with sailboats and have them do it all? Or do I buy the parts and try to do it myself? I don't know where to begin. I am located on the south fork of Long Island (I sail in Gardiner's Bay) but could also access marinas and sailmakers on the north fork. Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks!
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

You would probably need help with the installation. But .. there is a product you might consider named the CDI flexible furler .. it is a bit easier to install and less intrusive. Your hank on jib would need to be converted or just buy a new one.
Bonacgirl

Post by Bonacgirl »

Thank you gonesail. Still hoping for more responses.