Lazy Jacks -Yea or nay!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

tmcclarren

Lazy Jacks -Yea or nay!

Post by tmcclarren »

I am considering lazy jacks on my CD25D. I am also considering a stopac with the lazy jacks. What say you? I have never had lazy jacks and am hoping it will help us better deal with the main.
Thank you
Thom McClarren
Solomons MD
gonesail

Re: Lazy Jacks -Yea or nay!

Post by gonesail »

lazy jacks work well to prevent the sail from dropping to the deck. it's still a bit of work to flake and stow but yes .. i think it is worth it.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

I had never had lazy jacks before I installed them on the Far Reach. I did it because Gayle wanted them. I have never once regretted it. A 25 is a much smaller boat than the 36 but you also have less deck space so things that are simple and help you speed along controlling the dropping and stowing of the main allow you to refocus on handling the boat which is where your head needs to be.

The key is the design and layout of the lazy jacks. They need to work right every time and absolutely not interfere with sailing the boat. It's not difficult but it needs to be thought through.

If you go to 10:20 on this video I am dropping the main after 14 days at sea. I'm tired. You'll see the mains'l come right down into the lazy jacks without a bit of difficulty. That double reefed main is probably about the size of the main on a 25. Note I don't even have to throw any sail ties around the main.

https://youtu.be/6BHsXaxprpQ?si=BzlLDV0vKAQ2DXne

I'm not a fan of the stack pack. It detract from the beauty of the boat and can get in the way off shore when constantly reefing the main. But, I know a lot of sailors seem to like it. So there must be value there. If you get one make sure it is long enough to cover every bit of the main all the way to the end of the boom. Also make sure it doesn't interfere with reefing the main.
tmcclarren

Post by tmcclarren »

Hello and thanks John,
I am going to the loft today to discuss this system. I have done some reading and want to ponder the Dutchman system as well. The boat is small and I am up in years so I need the safest, easiest system to use. I may get one more season out of the mains'l and want to ask the loft if there is a deal for doing both at the same time. Thanks for the video. I look forward to seeing more. I like what you did at the rail with the added bulwark. I did notice you did not have a jack line for a safety harness while single handing. Thanks again.
Thom
S/V Agapé
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Thom
You'll figure out what works best for you and your boat. Best advice I can give is to keep it simple and easy to adjust.

I don't use a jack line. It gets in the way. I have several 6'' tethers with snap links I leave rigged at key locations on the boat--cockpit, mast, bow, etc. I move to that location keeping a tight hold and then snap-in to take care of the task. My side decks are absolutely clear, the bulwarks are tall and strong, and the lifelines are 30" high. Would I use a jack line? Sure, if and when I felt I needed it. It's the same for wearing a harness. I wear it whenever I feel I need it--mostly rough weather or usually at night.
Joegunz

Post by Joegunz »

Lazy Jacks and a Stack pack have been a total game changer for us on Miss Maggie. If it's blowing 20 Knots with a good chop running it's simple and safe to drop the main, go into the harbor, and settle up the sail at the mooring or at anchor. I made the stack pack from Sailrite videos and modified it just a bit. The Zipper is humped up at the head board about 8 to 10 inches which allows the entire pack to be lower in profile. Works great.
Miss Maggie.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tmcclarren

Post by tmcclarren »

Thanks to all for your kind words. I have since realized that I cannot use a clew strap as the current mains'l's clew is right above the cheek blocks for the reefing lines, so I am going to use a outhaul slide from Sailrite. Trying to noodle around the dimensions of the bolt channel in the boom. Telling them that the slug is a 3/8 inch slug meant little to the sales gal. So off to the bout with a micrometer to measure. 15/16 width and a 3/16 opening. I hope that will suffice. Thanks again. See you in St Michaels.