Tell Me About This Zinc

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Tell Me About This Zinc

Post by John Stone »

Attached are a couple pictures of the zinc that was on the Far Reach for about a year. About six months in brackish water of NC and about six months in the clear water of the Atlantic and about six months in the Virgin Islands. I'm going to install a new one but I am curious about it. How does it compare to your experiences? Any random thoughts about it?

In the water about 7 months:
IMG_3767.png
In the water about 4 months:
IMG_3768.png
After about a year:
IMG_3763.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
keneasley

Re: Tell Me About This Zinc

Post by keneasley »

Pretty similar to what mine looks like after a six-month season moored in Long Island Sound.
Somewhat less than 1/2 used up is what mine looks like.
Ken Easley
Intrepid 9 Meter - Felicity
Southport Harbor, Connecticut
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

It’s in exceptional shape, clearly you have no stray current of your own and those around you have none either.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Thanks Ken and Jim. I have nothing to compare it too. No zincs when I didn't have an engine. Things were a lot simpler then though I like the engine fine. I hated to give up the space though to be honest it was minimal.
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

I have a question about zincs, or rather about aluminum anodes that contain no zinc.

We started using aluminum on our prop shaft back in 2015. We took our 31 over to our other home in Nova Scotia and moored it in front of our house. The water off our place is brackish, more or less, depending on the tide.

We were told by some of the locals to use aluminum anodes, which perform better in fresh or brackish water. We did and the anode worked fine.

We now use aluminum all the time, even though our boat has been in mid-coast Maine for 8 years. Again, the anode performs well.

So my question is: is there any downside to using aluminum as a prop anode in salt water (other than a small difference in cost).

Thanks so much, in advance
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats