CD 27 propeller nut assembly

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

jfischgrund

CD 27 propeller nut assembly

Post by jfischgrund »

I am having my propeller off this winter for a pitch adjustment. The old propeller nut assembly looks, well, old. Photo attached. Any suggestions about where to find a new one? Thanks very much.
JOE
IMG_0068.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carl Thunberg

Re: CD 27 propeller nut assembly

Post by Carl Thunberg »

That is an adapter that fits your prop zinc. You can order a new adapter with a replacement prop zinc. There is no trace of the old prop zinc. How long has it been gone? I have attached a photo of mine for illustration purposes. Also, there is paint specific to propellers. I don't believe conventional bottom paint is chemically compatible with propellers. For what it's worth, I have had good luck with Trilux 33 spray paint on my prop.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Skipd

Post by Skipd »

I have a spare prop nut w/zinc that fits a 1” shaft. Prop nut was in fresh water, zinc is new. Replaced the whole unit last season.
Will take $20 + shipping if interested. If you’re going to the NH CD owner meeting on the 9th I could bring it there.

Thanks

Skip
IMG_6824.jpeg
jfischgrund

Post by jfischgrund »

Skip, I plan on being at the March 9 luncheon, and it would be great if you could bring it. Thank you so much!
Carl, the photo was taken after I had taken off the zinc. I've tried the Trilux and all the other zinc sprays and by themselves, are not very effective. For the last few summers, I have used the zinc spray as a 'primer' and then put bottom paint over it and it seems to work quite well. I think I began doing that after reading about it on this forum.
Thanks for the feedback. See you at the luncheon.
JOE