location of padeye and cheek block jiffy reefing clew

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Pembquist

location of padeye and cheek block jiffy reefing clew

Post by Pembquist »

For reefing on my CD28 main I have a pad eye and turning/cheek block at the clew followed by a series of strap eyes as fairleads leading to a 4" cleat at the front of the boom. I would like to add a second set of this hardware for a the second reef. My question is about location relative the the clew grommet on the second reef. How far to the rear of the boom from the clew cringle should I locate the new attachments? I was thinking something like 6" to 1 foot to the rear from the clew grommet. I also thought about adding a pair of small clutches instead of the cleats but that seems a little silly in terms of expense for benefit.

Thanks for any advice.
Jim Walsh

Re: location of padeye and cheek block jiffy reefing clew

Post by Jim Walsh »

Six inches should be fine. I’ve seen reefing cheek blocks installed too far aft several times and the sail has a loose leech which results in poor sail shape. On a previous boat my boom incorporated an integrated track with adjustable cheek blocks so it was easy to fine tune the position. That was ideal as sails stretch with age and a small adjustment can be very beneficial to sail shape.
I have a winch on my boom for the reefing clew lines. Several years ago I added a cam cleat for my first reef which allows me to easily free the winch (which I rarely use for the first reef) and use it for the second reef. My reefing clew lines are made fast with regular cleats, whereas my tack, for the first and second reefs, are held by large hooks. I find them much easier than securing with tack lines. I still have a few grommets in the sail but I stopped using tied reefing lines to secure the bunt of the sail many years ago. It was a tip I picked up from Hal Roth and I never looked back. We must all decide what works for us.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time