Club-Footed Jib - Were All CD28s Equipped?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

pschwa

Club-Footed Jib - Were All CD28s Equipped?

Post by pschwa »

Hi there,

We are the new owners of a 1975 CD28, hull #57. The boat came to us with a roller furled Genoa, but we’re intrigued to explore using a self-tending club-footed jib that we understand was something of a hallmark of many Cape Dory models as originally designed and delivered. That said, I am seeing some references in the 1978 owners manual on the CDSOA website that makes it sound like not all boats had the club-footed jib.

Do folks know whether some CD28s never had the club-footed jib? And based on the photos below of our foredeck, is it possible to tell if our boat once had one? Lastly, do people think it would be possible to (re-)install the jib club, particularly given the large windlass that we have just aft of the bowsprit?

All the best,

Peter
101_1093.jpeg
101_1091.jpeg
101_1173.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD-MDR

Re: Club-Footed Jib - Were All CD28s Equipped?

Post by JD-MDR »

I installed a low profile windlass but had to raise the boom pedestal for the boom to clear.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JD-MDR on Nov 16th, '23, 10:07, edited 2 times in total.
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

Re: Club-Footed Jib - Were All CD28s Equipped?

Post by sgbernd »

To my knowledge, all were shipped with the club footed boom. Usually, when they are upgraded to roller furling, the bronze stand to which the boom is attached is left in place. In your photos, it appears the windlass installation replaced it.

In your case, the bronze base mount will interfere with the windlass so going back would not prove straightforward and you would have to move or replace the windlass.

I still use the club footed jib and like the self tacking feature.

The club footed jib does have it's limitations. It
- limits the size of the jib to about a 90 so you have to keep the larger hank-on genoa down below
- prohibits use of the fore deck for anything else (like carrying the dingy or sun bathing)
- blocks opening the fore hatch without first securing the boom to the side. In case of fire, a fore hatch escape route is blocked.
- at deep sailing angles, the rear of boom lifts spoiling sail shape. This shortcoming is corrected by the Hoyt self tacking design a few decades later but our boats are too old for that.
- requires you to furl or reef on the fore deck. When the decks are awash, this is not so much fun. An advantage of roller reefing is that you can do it all from the cockpit.
- finally, I don't find it works well dead down wind. A regular jib can be poled out but the weight of the boom keeps trying to collapse the jib. I've never found it useful wing on wing.

Steve