Experiences sailing Typhoon vs. 22/Ty Senior

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

CapeDory22

Experiences sailing Typhoon vs. 22/Ty Senior

Post by CapeDory22 »

I recently moved from a Whaler 13 to a Montauk 17 and while the difference in length was only 4', the experience onboard was tremendous... the 17' is just a more substantial vessel capable of handling chop, even with several people on board.

I mention this because I have no expereince to speak of with the Typhoon or 22, but wonder if the same 4' differential is as substantial? I imagine the below deck is more 'useful' for two compared to a Weekender, but would love to hear impressions from anyone who has sailed both about the actual sailing experience... does the 22 track 'better?' Does the cockpit feel deeper and more comfortable?

Certainly the costs of ownership are likely a bit higher, as a Ty can be pretty well rigged and launched from a ramp - whereas, I imagine, the 22 requires use of a lift.

Thoughts would be most appreciated! Or even links to other threads I've not been able to locate using the search function. Thanks!
Megunticook

Re: Experiences sailing Typhoon vs. 22/Ty Senior

Post by Megunticook »

I own a Ty Senior and while I can't compare to a Typhoon weekender because I haven't sailed one, I can attest that the Senior handles all manner of conditions very well.

Also, I launch from a trailer.
Brimag

Post by Brimag »

Hi, I have owned both. It's quite a different experience on the senior compared to the Typhoon. The smaller boat is a very nice daysailer and I had a lot of fun with it. The senior a much different experience, stability comfort and the ability to overnight which we do most weekends all summer. With that being said it's still a small sailboat.I can sail and dock by myself 90% of the time. Very happy with it. Have not launched on boat ramp, I have yard launch.
CapeDory22

Post by CapeDory22 »

Very helpful. Thank you.