Typhoon compression post

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

SabreCapt

Typhoon compression post

Post by SabreCapt »

I am looking to purchase a Typhoon. Is it common for Typhoon owners to install a compression post in the cuddy cabin to support the mast step? Is this indicative of softness in the cabin top balsa core? Should I be scared off by this? Any advice is welcome.
Ben Miller

Re: Typhoon compression post

Post by Ben Miller »

Short answer, no, you don't need to be scared off by this. The compression post has to do with some older Typhoons having a less-than-adequate cabin structure to support the pressure of the mast, so it sags a bit. Later models had some additional support added. In other words, it's not a balsa core problem, although that's definitely something to watch out for.

I've never felt the need for a compression post in my Typhoon, but if you do, they seem pretty easy to add. Do a search on this board and you can find plenty of past discussions. https://capedory.org/board/search.php?s ... t&start=15
SabreCapt

Post by SabreCapt »

Thank you for your response
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

I installed a removable compression post in my 1976 Typhoon as a preventative measure. When refurbishing the boat 15 years ago I noticed a few small cracks along the base of the cabin where it merges into the deck. This is the indication that they=re may have been some compression in the past. It has given me peace of mind and there has been no additional cracking observed. If there are internal "knees" in the cabin you are probably already protected. Just don't over-tighten the rigging - hey, it isn't a racing boat!!!! I love my Typhoon - easy to sail single-handed or with a crew of two. I strongly recommend adding roller furling.
Last edited by Dick Villamil on Jul 23rd, '23, 22:05, edited 1 time in total.
keneasley

Post by keneasley »

I installed a compression post on my Sea Sprite about 10 years ago.
Not a very difficult or expensive job.
Took a bit of time though and I did it when the boat was on the hard.
I detailed what materials are required and some of the how-tos here:

https://www.seaspriteassociation.com/te ... on-post-2/

You should also look at the article by Dejan on the same forum for more details.
I basically copied his method and added a more detailed shopping list.

If I had to do it again I'd route the wires from the mast out the mast above the deck and then through the deck next to the mast and not through the bottom of the mast. That is, if you have wires in the mast.
The post that I made is adjustable so that it can be tightened up if needed and so that it can be easily removed.
Ken Easley
Intrepid 9 Meter - Felicity
Southport Harbor, Connecticut
jtjc53

Post by jtjc53 »

We bought a 1974 Typhoon Weekender (hull #600) last spring, and we are working on various repairs. Though the neither the cabin top around the mast step nor the areas where the cabin meets the foredeck show any cracking, the foredeck sags significantly over the last foot or so (moving aft) back to where it meets the front of the cabin top. The cabin top itself shows no sagging, but the areas along the front and forward side edges of the cabin have sagged. The deck itself feels quite solid. Apparently, the rig has been overtightened (again and again?) and the sagging we're seeing is the result. We're planning on installing a compression post, but we're debating whether or not to try and jack up the sagging areas before doing so or just accept the sag as is and put a post in to prevent it from sagging any further. After perhaps many years of having this sagging, we're concerned that trying to jack it up might result in major cracking and other damage to the deck/cabin top. Any of you who have jacked up sagging decks, can you offer advice as to how to go about this? Thanks!