Ventilation under settees

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Joegunz

Ventilation under settees

Post by Joegunz »

In Miss Maggie (CD33) there is moisture collecting on the wood panels near the floor boards under the settees. (About 2 inches near the cabin sole) More at the aft corners. These panels are varnished, so I haven't yet refinished them since the bottom edges are damp. The water tanks are there so I removed the boards under the custions to inspect for leaks. All seems good no leaks. Seems like it could be condensation since other places are a bit damp on the surfaces too. It's been raining forever around Rye NH. Anyway has anyone installed vents in these vertical panels under the settees? If so what kind?
Paul D.

Re: Ventilation under settees

Post by Paul D. »

I get a fair amount of condensation on Femme as we are in cold Lake Superior waters, but we don't seem to have that problem. While you have the berth board up, I would check to see if those spaces behind the vertical panels are draining fully into the bilge. See if a limber hole is clogged or if there isn't one, make a path so it does not collect.

Other than that, generally to reduce condensation and mold issues, I leave the companionway hatch screens in place instead of the solid washboards, (Femme has a basic dodger that keeps most of the rain out) at least the top one, place the dinghy over either the fore hatch or saloon hatch and leave that one open, and always leave the head portlight open to maximize ventilation even when raining. That does let a bit of water into the bilge and into the left head locker in a big rain, but I figure that's a good trade for continual fresh air. So far that has kept the mold and any sort of smell at bay.
Paul
CDSOA Member
Joegunz

Post by Joegunz »

Paul D , All really good sugestions! We also keep the head port open, but I hadn't thought about limber holes and wash board screens. Miss Maggie also has a dodger, so that should work. I'll check for drainage behind the panels. Thanks for the reply.
Regards,
Joe G.
keneasley

Post by keneasley »

Some good ideas there about ventilation.

I made a rough looking but functional vent for the companionway boards using an azek board and an air deflector from Home Depot. This completely keeps rain out and is in place throughout the year. Someday I'll make a better one but it works for now.
Companionway_Vent.jpg
And, some years ago I put on "Port Visors" from SeaWorthy goods above the ports.
These work very well in keeping the rain out with the ports open.
Port_LIght_2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ken Easley
Intrepid 9 Meter - Felicity
Southport Harbor, Connecticut
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

what with the dual dorades on my boat .. and a generous gap at the top of the companionway .. i don't worry about ventilation. besides i'm not so sure the 95 degree air is going to make much difference anyway.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Ventilation is often overlooked on many boats. I cut four diameter inch holes and a series of 2" diameter holes in all the bulkheads in the Far Reach. I cut out the forward anchor bulkhead to improve air flow from the bow aft through all the lockers. I also cut holes in the bulkhead aft of the quarter hearth and in the galley bulkhead to allow air to move through the storage areas under seat lockers. Whenever the boat is laid up I remove the engine cover and about half the walnut cabin sole to further promote air flow.

I run a small dehumidifier and a box fan throughout the year. I have seldom seen any mildew even when laid up for a year.
Last edited by John Stone on Aug 3rd, '23, 23:28, edited 1 time in total.
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

Most of the time, on Christine C, in New England, ventilation is not a problem. Stock ventilation is one dorade over the head and I can leave everything closed. If it's humid and hot (over 85F for extended periods) and I can't keep ports open (like when it rains nonstop), I get mildew on some surfaces in the cabin. It's usually not a problem, and a couple good sailing days clears it out. If not, some Murphy's and a good cleanse with all the ports open does the trick. If I just keep sailing, it's never a problem but been tough this year.
Jeff