Halyard Replacement

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jneely

Halyard Replacement

Post by jneely »

I am having a difficult time getting my new main halyard through the sheaves at the top of the mast on my CD 27 Troika. Any suggestions as to how to get the job done?
Thanks for all replies.
Bill Goldsmith

Re: Halyard Replacement

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

Hello! I would use a stiff wire like a bent coat hanger or an electrician's fish tape. Put the wire through first, tape it to a the wire and pull the halyard through.
Bill Goldsmith
Loonsong
Cape Dory 32 Hull #2
BernieA

Post by BernieA »

If the old halyard is still in place, the mast is up and the sheave is not jammed, I seize the end of the replacement halyard, then sew the old and new halyards end to end with seizing twine. With the two halyards butted together, I sew vertically between the two so the diameter remains the same diameter. I then wrap them with electrical tape to be sure they don't come apart. Once done, I pull the old halyard thru until the new halyard is in place. I then remove the sewing and I'm good to go.
ch.ocallaghan

Post by ch.ocallaghan »

I’ve found that splicing the two double-braid lines (old and new) works best:

Pull out a few inches of the inner portion of one line and cut it off, leaving the cover intact.

Then perform the reverse on the other line, cutting off the cover the same amount.

Feed the inner portion of the one line into the cover of the second, using an awl or small screwdriver.

Bind it all together with a few lengthwise stitches until it feel secure.

You will end up with a composite line the same diameter as the original, which will feed
through the masthead sheave without a problem with no added bulk due to electricians tape etc.