Beautiful Pictures of a Cape Dory 22, CD22 - Salvagable?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

s2sailorlis

Re: Beautiful Pictures of a Cape Dory 22, CD22 - Salvagable?

Post by s2sailorlis »

Absolutely. I’m sure all new rigging is required.

Brimag wrote:Just saw picture of bow, that headstay is completely unsafe. Probably not the only one. Just had to say!

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
Gary H

Post by Gary H »

In 2011, I bought a bare hull Cape Dory 22D along with about 30 boxes of parts. All topsides teak, fittings, portholes, etc. had been removed from the boat by a fellow looking to restore her. His health failed and had to sell the boat as is. The small diesel was still attached but I removed it for a needed rebuild. I spent 3 years putting her back together which, of course, included new toe and rub rails, standing rigging electric panel, etc. (during which time I continued to sail my Typhoon). It can be done if your heart is in it and I was close to 70 when I completed the job. Looking back - I would not do this outdoors exposed to the elements which is what I did and much of the work is better done with a second set of hands - particularly installing the new teak rails. It is also very comforting to know every nut and bolt of your boat when something does eventually go wrong.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

I rescued a Typhoon that was in MUCH worse condition than this nice boat. Upgrading the forestay may not be a problem if you decide to put a roller furler in place. The teak rubrail and toe rail may have to all come off then insert new sections and do a complete re-bedding (not a bad idea anyway). Some fiberglass work may be needed but not a problem - you can learn as you go with this one. Do some tapping around all fittings and mast step with a plastic hammer or screw driver handle and listen for thuds where there may be water intrusion into the core. If none you should be goods to go with this boat. Check the rudder and rudder post as well as if there is any water in the bilge. I would also check the through hulls. The rebedding of all deck hardware could be in year two of your work. Sails - use them and then gradually replace as needed. If I didn't have too many boats already I would jump at this opportunity at such a rare and beautiful boat. The motor may still be OK but IMHO not a deal breaker since a new 4-stroke or even electric may be a better option in the future. Just be prepared to park this in your driveway for a year while you go through the boat and make the necessary repairs. After you accomplish this you will definitely know the boat inside and out and ready to make any repairs in the future if needed. Then keep us all posted as to how many people give you compliments on such a beautiful boat! :D :D :D