Ocean Cruising Club Membership

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Ocean Cruising Club Membership

Post by John Stone »

Anyone a member of the Ocean Cruising Club? Is it worthwhile? I know you have to have completed a minimum of one 1,000 mile point to point ocean voyage and be sponsored by a full member. But other than that I only know what's on the website.

Any insights appreciated.
Jim Walsh

Re: Ocean Cruising Club Membership

Post by Jim Walsh »

I’ve met members several times over the years since Bermuda is a gateway for many vessels on their passages north, south, east, and west. Three times I’ve been invited to join them for get-togethers such as an informal pot luck cook-out on the beach at Hen Island in Bermuda.
I feel that one of the valuable benefits of joining would be the opportunity to encounter a friendly face when off the beaten track. Advice and assistance can be more often provided or encountered when there is some tangible association between complete strangers.
They have arrived individually then buddy boated to the Azores on several occasions while I was in Bermuda. Not in huge numbers like the ARC boats, but I’ve seen as many as five leave together at one time.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Thanks Jim. Thoughtful advice as always. So, I submitted my application. The club has an interesting history. Pretty neat looking burgee too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

I belonged to the Seven Seas Cruising Association (SSCA). Joined after participating in the Caribbean 1500 many years ago. But we really haven’t participated in many events.

https://www.ssca.org/
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay