Typhoon Hoist Strap

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

tc53

Re: Typhoon Hoist Strap

Post by tc53 »

Hello. I am the happy owner of a 1974 CD Typhoon Weekender here in Santa Cruz, CA. Though we are on a waitlist for a slip in our crowded little harbor, we will be dry sailing using a hoist at our club until one comes available. Hence, I am interested in reviving this conversation about lifting straps for the boat. I've found what appears to be a good source of weighted polyester straps online here:
https://www.fixmarinesupply.com/product ... boat-sling

A career humanities teacher, I am no match for Oswego John's math question challenge, so I am wondering about the ideal length of the forward and aft straps placed according to the diagram posted by Tim. Is 22' (forward) and 26' (aft) your suggestion, OJ?

And Mark Yashinshy, can you clarify your comments about tying the front and back straps together? Do you mean all four ends somehow lashed together? The weighted polyester straps I've found online have pear rings at each end, so I am wondering if, with the right length, could all four rings simply be hooked to the hoist hook to lift the boat?

Thanks for any help you can offer. SC Harbor is still blocked by shoaling caused by our recent winter storms, but I am very eager to get our Typhoon out sailing as soon as it opens again.
Ben Miller

Post by Ben Miller »

Since this thread is almost old enough to vote, you might not get many responses from the original posters, but I'm sure someone current will chime in. I trailer-launch my Ty, so I can't answer your question about the strap length, however, I think I can clarify your question about tying the straps together. The danger with an Alberg-style hull is that the forward strap will slip up the bow and drop your boat. Not good. Having something connecting the two straps keeps them in place and prevents that from happening. The connection would go mid-strap from one to the other, somewhere around the waterline. More informed folks will chime in to add detail.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

It is really very easy to do. In this shot notice the line going from strap to strap just above the deck level.
Big Bertha.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Chrisa006

Post by Chrisa006 »

When my C25 was lifted in the travel lift they always tied a line just above the water line to the 2 straps. Granted a single lifting point like some of the dry sailing cranes I have seen will not be as apt to slide forward. I still wouldn't take a chance.
Chris Anderheggen
CD25 "Windsong"
Catalina 30 "Kestrel"
Catalina 387 " Parrot Cay"
Credo quia absurdum