What Ever Happened to:

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

tartansailor

What Ever Happened to:

Post by tartansailor »

Neil Gordon posted some very informative narratives here on this site a long while ago His posts were both insightful and instructive. Though I never met Neil personally, I know that if we were brought up together, we would be best of friends. His advocacy of "Dark & Stormys" always filled me with mirth and respect for the man. Here' to you Neil, wherever you may be.
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Carl Thunberg

Re: What Ever Happened to:

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Neil is still active on LinkedIn and he has become active on the Hudson River Sloop Clearwater. He is the only sailor I have seen with a full spice rack on his CD28. He eats well on-board. I sailed with him on the Boston Harbor Islands Regatta. He is a former Fleet Captain of the Northeast Fleet and I believe he was Vice Commodore at one time. He just stopped posting here a while ago.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

Thanks, Carl.
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Neil’s been pretty active on Twitter: https://twitter.com/cdory28167

.. and he sometimes posts on the “Cape Dory Fans” Facebook group.

You might be interested in this article from 2017: https://patch.com/massachusetts/brookli ... al-passion
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

Neil had the best "how to drop your mainsail" advice I ever read. Follow it to this day.

"I'm reading way to much about running to the mast, running to the bow, running back to the tiller. My 28 just doesn't react so quickly that I need to run anywhere...

Raising the main, without the auto pilot, I get some momentum into the wind, shift to neutral, walk to the mast (pulling sail ties along the way) and raise the main. If the bow falls off, the sail fills and the boat heads up again.

Lowering the main, sheet in, let go the tiller, let the boat round up. Walk up on the windward side, then release the halyard when the main luffs.

Reefing, heave to and take your time.

No running required."

Everything Neil ever wrote about turned out to be pretty much it ...
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

Thanks, Cathy, Fred.

Dick :)
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam