CD 30 Mk II Cabin Window Replacement

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Khaos13

CD 30 Mk II Cabin Window Replacement

Post by Khaos13 »

Hello,
It seems the 30 MkII is the only CD with these "windows" for lack of a better term. Mine are completely opaque and need to be replaced. It seems that these windows are sealed from the inside behind a teak frame that does not have any fasteners. Maybe the frame is glued in? Has anyone replaced these windows? I really don't want to damage any of the teak by prying on it. Thank you in advance for ANY help you can provide.
CD 30 MkII Hull # 8
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Frenchy

Re: CD 30 Mk II Cabin Window Replacement

Post by Frenchy »

Hi there - if those ports aren't leaking, you have nothing to lose by trying to clear up the lenses by
abrading with fine sandpaper and polishing. In the video below, the ports were removed, but you could
do the same thing with them in place. It's just not as easy. - Jean

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+ ... t3q74wYx6M
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
Khaos13

Post by Khaos13 »

Aah, but they ARE leaking and have been for a while it appears. They are also "crazed" with fine lines all through them. I'd like to change them (along with the Bowmar hatches) to a bronze tinted Lexan or other plastic with strong UV protection. Thank you for the reply!
CD 30 MkII Hull # 8
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Are you sure there aren’t any bungs covering up any fasteners in the trim around the windows?
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Khaos13

Post by Khaos13 »

Well, I will certainly take a much closer look tomorrow but I'm pretty sure there are no plugs. I looked for small "pins" that might have been used. I believe they are glued in. I really don't want to damage the frames OR the surrounding teak. I may try a heat gun. Thank you for the reply Cathy!
CD 30 MkII Hull # 8
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

looks to me like you would have to remove the interior teak frame to see exactly how Cape Dory did it. i see what you are saying .. it looks like there are no visible screws or bungs.
Khaos13

Post by Khaos13 »

Thanks for the confirmation Gonesail. Hard rain and wind are keeping me off the boat today. Time for some reverse engineering. Any thoughts sincerely appreciated.
CD 30 MkII Hull # 8
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

i was on the boat today and confirmed what we know. it looks to be glued. and I'm not sure why they did it that way. maybe to prevent owners from being able to maintain their boats without destroying property :roll:
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

I have no direct knowledge but it would not surprise me if they used some version of 3M VHB tape. Even if it was not used originally it might be an attractive alternative.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

i have seen evidence of other manufacturers using hi tech adhesive to attach the port lights from the outside. if that is the case then you would not need to remove the interior trim. maybe there are some old guys around that worked at cape dory in the late 80s?
gbernard

Post by gbernard »

I replaced these windows a few years ago. The entire job was done from the outside - no need to remove the teak trim.
- Removed old caulking from the perimeter (outside) to remove old windows. This was not a fun job. All of the old caulking had to be cleaned up, sanded away etc.
- Had windows replicated
- VHB tape around perimeter of outward facing flange
- Lay in new windows and re-caulk
Cape Dory 30 MKII Hull #28
Boston, MA
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

how much curve is in these windows. i wonder if you could replace with tempered glass? probably expensive.
Khaos13

Post by Khaos13 »

No curve that I can see. Cannot see a way to replace from the outside. No caulking to remove. From the outside, it appears to be a solid fiberglass border/flange. Anybody with actual experience working on this issue? Thanks, Dan

BTW, Happy New Year!!!!!!
CD 30 MkII Hull # 8
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

from what i can gather .. the ports are glued to outside of the flange face. so once you remove the caulk .. you can pop them out. maybe a heat gun would help. i believe several manufacturers did this in the late 80s and early 90s.
gbernard

Post by gbernard »

Interesting - mine were not glued. After I removed the caulking, I found 4 screws affixing each window to the flange at roughly the location of the arrows. As mentioned, I decided to go with vhb tape instead. Sounds like this construction is different.

Happy New Year!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cape Dory 30 MKII Hull #28
Boston, MA