CD 25D bilge pump

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

JD-MDR

Re: CD 25D bilge pump

Post by JD-MDR »

I've been advised not to use Y- fittings . I think because it would need check valves and check valves tend to get clogged and fail. But maybe you shouldn't listen to me I feel like I've been scolded for doing shoddy work. I don't know why the factory didn't install backing plates on both my thru hulls. but who am I to question the engineers. The PVC pipe I used is very secure. I put a wood block under in case I step on it. I had to boil the hose in water to get it on the barbed fitting and there is only room for one clamp. I'm not worried about it coming off. I didn't use a barbed thru hull because I wanted to get a 90 degree elbow on there so I could get it out of the way. I'm not sure whats more unsafe : having plastic fittings or having a bunch of junk down there flying around breaking things. Any way I'm not trying to offer expert advise. I'm just trying to share, hoping for critique and comments to learn from.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
n5ama

Post by n5ama »

Thanks for the reminder on the Whale pump! I forget it is there and need to "exercise" it every now and then. I think it is original to the boat (1979) and should probably be changed but it is a real bear to access. It's on the rear cockpit bulkhead and requires crawling into the area and a sharp bend of the body. At 40, I probably had a shot at this, but at 75, not so much. LOL

I'm installing a Water Witch bilge switch a little later this week until I sort out the final setup.

I appreciate your help.

Tom
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

I often flood my bilge with fresh water and flush the manual pump. The first time I took one apart is was full of corrosion from salt sitting in there.
Here is how I redid my other G-10 backing plate hardwood block epoxied down. Bronze barbed hose adapter. Hardwood block with better clamps and no more PVC pipes. I hope it passes now. Not getting no seacock. I trust the engineers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

I think I’m done. I’m so dumb. Always wasting so much doing everything trial and error. I wish I could be like SOME people who plan everything so well and do everything so nice the first time. Oh well. It’s the way I am.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
JD-MDR

Post by JD-MDR »

Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 17-10-26 PVC on bilge pump - Page 2 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums.png
Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 17-10-26 PVC on bilge pump - Page 2 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums.png
I wish I would have heard from him first:
I looked around at other boats none has the outlet so low as mine. its 3 or 4 " above the water.. I'm really glad I changed it.. Someday when I can paint the hull topsides I will do what that guy suggested.
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

So glad you took action and made some changes. The set up in either one of those pictures is far better than the original situation.

I might note that the vented loop is still important, even if you run the hose up high.

On my first Bermuda trip, I had installed a new high capacity, electric bilge pump, for emergency dewatering. I had only had a manual pump before. After finding some water in the bilge, which is normal when sailing my boat in rough conditions, I got lazy and just hit the manual only switch for the bilge pump. Pumped out the bilge, shut it off and all was well.

After that, I went up to spend time in the cockpit and at some point, I looked down below and noticed a trickle of water coming out from under the cabin sole. I went down, pulled the cover and it was FULL. I knew I had just pumped the bilge; I was about 300KM from the nearest land, and this was not good. The first thing I did was to hit the bilge pump switch. Then I started looking for the leak. A quick check of all the hull penetrations revealed nothing but the pump was making good progress. I got all the water out but still hadn't found the leak. That is when I noticed little bubbles flowing through the pump hose, back into the boat.

The through hull for the pump was underwater on a port tack and it was syphoning back into the boat, even with a high loop. I tacked over to starboard and shut off the pump, then back on port with no further issues.

Keep your vented loop, Steve.
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Steve,

The same thing happened to me on a port tack on my former CD30. On rare occasions, the bilge pump would kick on with the outlet submerged, initiating the siphon. A vented loop solved the problem, but I also got into the habit of turning the bilge pump off at the panel while underway. I should add that I have always been a coastal cruiser, which really involves a string of day sails. I can count the number of overnight passages on my fingers. So, turning the bilge pump off when underway has never been a problem for me.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton