Typhoon Tiller Extension

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

hinmo

Typhoon Tiller Extension

Post by hinmo »

Anybody add a tiller extension to their typhoon? I am thinking I will be sitting in multiple positions in the cockpit depending on conditions and crew and might benefit from an extension.
John H.
Mattapoisett, MA
1980 Weekender Typhoon " Sailing Shoes"
radsailor

Re: Typhoon Tiller Extension

Post by radsailor »

I have a Forespar TSP. Very nice.
sloopjohnl

Post by sloopjohnl »

depending upon the style and length you are looking for it is easy to make an efficient one as i did. i did not want one too long so i opted to make one out of wood. i used a one inch dowel and a round knob about an inch and a half in diameter. its been a long time ago and i do not remember where i got the attachment parts but i believe they were intended for such a purpose or similar.
it was just a metal cylinder installed in the tiller at your desired location. in my case that was near the end of the tiller opposite the attachment to the rudder stock. this allowed for no protrusions on the tiller handle when not using the extension. on the extension the mating piece was a 1/4" diameter pin with a small spring loaded ball that depressed when the pin was installed in the tiller cylinder and then sprung out when the end of the pin had protruded thru the bottom of the tiller handle. this pin was installed in the end of the dowel opposite the knob end. it all got varnished to match the tiller. i used it seated or reclining anywhere in the cockpit. the one drawback was it did not pivot upward but it never really mattered as the tiller itself took care of that and i liked that the extension did not inadvertently flop about.
hinmo

Post by hinmo »

radsailer - which one and how long? thx
John H.
Mattapoisett, MA
hinmo

Post by hinmo »

Sloopjohn - sounds beautiful, not sure I am into that much work tho....and I am pretty bad with wood
John H.
Mattapoisett, MA
radsailor

Post by radsailor »

I have the Forespar Twist-Lock Tiller Extensions TFP with Foam Grip (19 to 32-Inch)
I recommend getting the retaining clip as well.
hinmo

Post by hinmo »

Thanks Rad - will do the same
John H.
Mattapoisett, MA
hinmo

Post by hinmo »

radsailor wrote:I have the Forespar Twist-Lock Tiller Extensions TFP with Foam Grip (19 to 32-Inch)
I recommend getting the retaining clip as well.
Radsailor - does the tiller extension stow ok on the stock/OEM curved tiller
John H.
Mattapoisett, MA
radsailor

Post by radsailor »

Installs no problem on the original tiller. However, I just got a beautiful new replacement tiller from (Rudder Craft 208-375-2204) and it fits very well.