CD25 Outboard help needed!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

damvolpe

Re: CD25 Outboard help needed!

Post by damvolpe »

dahult wrote:I have a CD25 with a 2005 Mercury 9.9 that I want to replace. The Mercury has a cabled throttle/gear shift into the console area so I can control the motor at the tiller. It also has electric start, which is quite convenient. The steering on the motor is fixed so that all steering is done with the tiller, which works ok: very good control in reverse (prop wash hits the rudder) but no direction control until some forward headway.

Every dealer I have talked to has told me that remote throttle/gear shift is not available on motors less than 9 HP and a 9+ HP motor is too big for a CD25 in the lazaret, barely fits and too heavy.

Do you or does anyone else have a solution that they like? If you don't have remote control on the motor, how do you control the motor, e.g., lift lazaret cover and use the tiller control on the motor (how well does that work)? Was your SailPro on a CD25 with the lazaret and if yes how did you control the motor?

Doug
Hey Doug. My first CD25 had an older Tohatsu SailPro 6HP that I felt was nearly perfect. Good power, not too heavy. I folded the tiller back and raised the lazarette cover a bit so it would close while under sail. While motoring, the tiller could be tilted forward to about 45%, giving me good steerage at all speeds, forward and reverse. Not perfect or elegant, but effective. My 2nd CD25 had a fixed Yamaha 6HP with electric start and throttle wired to the cockpit. That was convenient, but a nightmare at low speeds in tight quarters. I had to rely on prop walking to maneuver, but even a slight wind would make that dicey. I decided to jettison the Yamaha in favor of a new Tohatsu 6HP SailPro, but as I mentioned above, it has been redesigned and is larger than the old one. Even dropping the mounting board, and carving out a bit of glass from the little hatchway, I only have about 10% turning radius - better than nothing, but not great. On top of all that, this brand new Tohatsu seems to need a new carburetor! I do not advise going this route. My advice (for what it's worth) is to look for a 5-6HP engine with a 20" shaft that has a relatively small profile at the top, both in terms of the height, so the lazarette can close, and from front to back, so you have the best turning ability. The search continues!
Damian Volpe
Lookfar 1976 CD25
Southold, NY
VaCD25

Post by VaCD25 »

damvolpe wrote:Great video! Makes me weep thinking about Lookfar languishing in the marina. Another friend suggested just this engine, although he has his off a transom mount over. Can you take the tiller arm off while you're sailing, or does it just stay in the cockpit through the motor well hatch full time?
Yes, for now the tiller for the motor sticks through. It allows me to help steer the boat in reverse. I have purchased a remote throttle setup that comes with traditional style throttle and remote display. Just been too hot to mess with any type of installation...and I need to figure out how and where I want to mount it. Once I put remote throttle in, I will make a short stubby tiller for outboard that I can use to turn the outboard. It sure is nice to have that extra maneuverability.
Once sailing I do lock the outboard in the straight position. Starts regeneration at 4knts or so...I've seen at much as 50w of regeneration power
damvolpe

Post by damvolpe »

I'd love to see that once you get some time to tackle the project. I strongly suspect I will be selling this Tohatsu in the fall and considering a different option.
Damian Volpe
Lookfar 1976 CD25
Southold, NY
casampson

Post by casampson »

Although I have only been out sailing a few times this summer, I am having good luck with my new 2020 5 HP Tohatsu Propane Sailpro. It fits nicely in the lazarette and can turn about 45 degrees on each side, although I have locked my outboard in place and only use the tiller for steering. Five HP seems to be plenty of power for the CD 25.

The only problem I am experiencing so far is that the propane motor is hard to start when cold. It usually takes about eight pulls to get it going, but yesterday it took ten or twelve. I am hoping there is a simple solution to this problem.

I am sorry you are having such bad luck with your new motor, Damien. I hope you can work it out soon.

Chris
damvolpe

Post by damvolpe »

I probably should have gone this route! I got talked out of the propane option but the fact that it fits so nicely in the engine well makes up for any potential downsides. Does anybody else have an outboard they like that fits nicely in the well and can turn as freely? If so, please let me know as I will probably sell the Tohatsu after the sailing season this year.
Damian Volpe
Lookfar 1976 CD25
Southold, NY
VaCD25

Post by VaCD25 »

Here is my CD25 electric setup so far. I'll be adding a remote display and throttle. The electronic tiller will be removed. I will fab a small wooden tiller for outboard to turn outboard from top while docking. Once underway outboard tiller will fold down, outboard will be locked/pinned straight, compartment hatch will be lowered. Atleast that's the plan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

VaCD25 wrote:Here is my CD25 electric setup so far. I'll be adding a remote display and throttle. The electronic tiller will be removed. I will fab a small wooden tiller for outboard to turn outboard from top while docking. Once underway outboard tiller will fold down, outboard will be locked/pinned straight, compartment hatch will be lowered. Atleast that's the plan
Interesting idea to remove the battery and put it next to the outboard instead of on top of it. I'm sure that gets you a lot of room to pivot the outboard.

--Jim
damvolpe

Post by damvolpe »

VaCD25 wrote:Here is my CD25 electric setup so far. I'll be adding a remote display and throttle. The electronic tiller will be removed. I will fab a small wooden tiller for outboard to turn outboard from top while docking. Once underway outboard tiller will fold down, outboard will be locked/pinned straight, compartment hatch will be lowered. Atleast that's the plan
This is really slick!. What I like about the electric idea is that they are so light I could easily lift it out when needed. I moor on a bay and the barnacle growth is so intense that i have to haul and scrape the prop every summer at least once. How does the electronic tiller attach? What I mean is, can you attach and detach it through the little hatchway there? Or did you have to angle it on before you clamped the engine in place?
Damian Volpe
Lookfar 1976 CD25
Southold, NY
VaCD25

Post by VaCD25 »

damvolpe wrote:
This is really slick!. What I like about the electric idea is that they are so light I could easily lift it out when needed. I moor on a bay and the barnacle growth is so intense that i have to haul and scrape the prop every summer at least once. How does the electronic tiller attach? What I mean is, can you attach and detach it through the little hatchway there? Or did you have to angle it on before you clamped the engine in place?
Tiller detaches very easily, I pull outboard each time after use, rinse it and store it in dock box. A single pin located on side of body pulls out, 1 electrical connector and tiller is removed...takes less than a minute to attach or remove. The motor without battery I think is 24 or so lbs, very light. It will fit in cockpit locker or down below easily.
Once I install remote throttle and display...I will just have to undo 2 electrical connectors to remove outboard body, 1 for battery and other for remote throttle.
I have the Evo longshaft...it's been great. Went sailing in fluky winds last Saturday. Sailing at 3.5kts I was regenerating back at 10w..not much but still regenerating.
I also bought the solar charge controller. I haven't hooked it up yet but my plan it to use it on the boat with flexible panels when at anchor to charge outboard batteries( to another project in due time)