Is Face Book Killing the Forum?

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Dmitche4

Re: Is Face Book Killing the Forum?

Post by Dmitche4 »

I'm not on Facebook and feel this forum is invaluable.

David
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Tom,
Come to the Great Mid-West where we not only use email, we also use "snail mail". We have never had the consignment shops that once were prevalent on the three coasts, so we often come to this forum and look for items that are being offered for sale. I, for one, will not be using Facebook. This forum is a terrific asset for Cape Dory owners.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Tom Keevil

Post by Tom Keevil »

I am also not on Facebook, and I read this forum almost daily. This is my go-to site when I have a boat question. We read and send emails frequently. We are also old, and we do our own work on Rover. This makes us part of a small and rapidly diminishing demographic. Certainly not something I applaud, but it’s a fact.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
ghockaday

Post by ghockaday »

I still use this site as a library. Really no need to ask question as folks will sometimes point out to you. Searching on facebook is almost impossible. That is the reason I would hate to lose it. On here you will typically get 30 views and 1 or 2 comments. Some folks will get replies back and forth, kind of like a private line to each others post.

The for sale section is useless. I could not give MD7A parts away and then I found facebook and found all sorts of folks in desperate need of used parts. So facebook is much more active.

So I think this site if just dying from natural causes or boredom.

If you want to post pix or see what someone else is doing, get quick opinions from different people, not the same 5 all the time, post of facebook. I have found the folks that post there to be quite friendly and supportive.

I still come here everyday and take a look.
Lower Chesapeake Bay, Sailing out of Carter's Creek
Danielle Elizabeth
CD30
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

John Stone wrote:I have never seen the forum so inactive. Is this due to face book? I used to see all kinds of posts, interaction, and discussion on the forum. This is such a outstanding source of info. Extensive archive. Good search function. There only seems to be about 10 active members on the Forum these days.

Seems blogs and books are also suffering from the pervasive, addictive, and insidious nature of YouTube.

I gave up FB for all the reasons everyone is familiar with but I didn't think FB would have such a big impact on the forum. Like GPS making it difficult to find paper charts. I wonder what the long term effects will be in our ability to find useful info on blogs and books and develop and maintain simple solutions.

Is there a consensus? Do you think most CD sailors have migrated to FB snd YT?
I took a hiatus from the forum for the past month--nothing to do with the forum itself. I've looked at the Cape Dory Facebook group before and just haven't been interested in it. The topic-based format here is much more logical and easy for me to navigate than the relentless chronological stream that is Facebook. The regulars we have here are a good group of folks, and there is virtually no unpleasantness or drama. This forum, even if dwindling, is still where I'd rather be and I'm happy to keep using it as long as it continues operating.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

wikakaru wrote:
John Stone wrote:I have never seen the forum so inactive. Is this due to face book? I used to see all kinds of posts, interaction, and discussion on the forum. This is such a outstanding source of info. Extensive archive. Good search function. There only seems to be about 10 active members on the Forum these days.

Seems blogs and books are also suffering from the pervasive, addictive, and insidious nature of YouTube.

I gave up FB for all the reasons everyone is familiar with but I didn't think FB would have such a big impact on the forum. Like GPS making it difficult to find paper charts. I wonder what the long term effects will be in our ability to find useful info on blogs and books and develop and maintain simple solutions.

Is there a consensus? Do you think most CD sailors have migrated to FB snd YT?
I took a hiatus from the forum for the past month--nothing to do with the forum itself. I've looked at the Cape Dory Facebook group before and just haven't been interested in it. The topic-based format here is much more logical and easy for me to navigate than the relentless chronological stream that is Facebook. The regulars we have here are a good group of folks, and there is virtually no unpleasantness or drama. This forum, even if dwindling, is still where I'd rather be and I'm happy to keep using it as long as it continues operating.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
Well said Jim.
Keith

Post by Keith »

My feelings as well!

Keith
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

Just in the past couple weeks, I have learned a ton from you all here! That doesn't even count all you taught me before then! Please keep it up! I have a number of projects I'm hoping to complete prior to launch and have learned a lot and hope to share.
Jeff
Brimag

Post by Brimag »

No Facebook ever! Being a Long time sailor and marine service employee I find the information and comradery here quite special. I think the changing times we live in is a major factor with forum activity. I appreciate the efforts of the members who keep it running. Brian . Typhoon Senior Portsmouth RI
jfischgrund

Post by jfischgrund »

I didn't even know about the FaceBook page until I read about it here. I tried it and unsubscribed after a couple of days. I may not be the most active poster on this forum, but I check it almost every day and have learned a ton of useful information in the past few years. Two of the projects I completed this winter were inspired by things I read on this forum.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I used to read and post a lot on this forum. It's where I found my boats and learned so much about them. I still find it to be a very valuable recourse. I was somehow, unable to get on for a while due to some glitch I didn't understand. During that time, I found the Facebook site and posted a bunch of stuff on there, mostly because it was so easy to include pictures, which everyone seems to want to see. This site has always had the most courteous, knowledgeable and supportive group of people I have ever encountered on the internet, and it is refreshing. I will continue to check in here and try to respond when I feel I could be helpful but it sure would be nice if it were easier to post pictures. I figured it out at one time but then as the old saying goes, use it or lose it and I didn't and did.

I did more sailing this past winter than I have done in several years combined. Looking forward to a great summer season and will continue to check in here.

Lots of folks on here who I consider good friends. Some I have met and others I just know from here.

Long live the CD Message Board, Steve.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Steve Laume wrote:I used to read and post a lot on this forum. It's where I found my boats and learned so much about them. I still find it to be a very valuable recourse. I was somehow, unable to get on for a while due to some glitch I didn't understand. During that time, I found the Facebook site and posted a bunch of stuff on there, mostly because it was so easy to include pictures, which everyone seems to want to see. This site has always had the most courteous, knowledgeable and supportive group of people I have ever encountered on the internet, and it is refreshing. I will continue to check in here and try to respond when I feel I could be helpful but it sure would be nice if it were easier to post pictures. I figured it out at one time but then as the old saying goes, use it or lose it and I didn't and did.

I did more sailing this past winter than I have done in several years combined. Looking forward to a great summer season and will continue to check in here.

Lots of folks on here who I consider good friends. Some I have met and others I just know from here.

Long live the CD Message Board, Steve.
The forum went through some kind of software meltdown awhile back. It was essentially offline while Cathy M and Bob D diligently worked on it and somehow got it running again. There was a brief time when it looked like it might get shut down but thanks fully that did not occur. Since then it seems to be like it was before.

I admit it's not as simple as Facebook but I do all my posting from my iPhone and I am a Neanderthal. It's pretty simple to post photos and you don't seem to have to reduce them small like you used too.

So pretty much just click on "choose file" below left of text box. It will go to your phone and you pick the photo you want. Hit "preview" and it loads and you can see if it's what you want before you update it to the forum.

I hope you contribute here as I always benefit from your insights. Many others do too. Would love to here about your voyage and what you learned.

Welcome home.
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

Some said years ago that the Internet forums killed many a class association. I use both but I find FB to be for the lazy crowd who don’t even want to look up simple answers using Google. I’ve been part of other FB sailboat pages and it’s the same.. people ask the same question 600x…. I point people here and suggest they do a search as their question has been answered 900x here…

The other aspect of FB are the tiring posts of fairly pedestrian activity. “Look at me sitting on my mooring” or “look at me out in 2 knots of wind”. Not just on CD FB page but pretty much every page….

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

Even though I have a Facebook account I don't use it often. I have found this forum to be incredibly valuable from entertainment to how-to, to envy producing.
Now, I just realized I have not sent any money in, can anyone advise or tell to whom I should?
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

"Now, I just realized I have not sent any money in, can anyone advise or tell to whom I should?"

Click on the Cape Dory Sailboat Association in the top banner. Then click "Fleets" on the left side of the page. You will be directed to all the Fleet contacts. I believe for each Fleet there is a "Click Here to Join". I see you're in Maryland. That would put you in the Chesapeake Fleet.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton