Videos: Dropping the mast on a Cape Dory Typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

wikakaru

Videos: Dropping the mast on a Cape Dory Typhoon

Post by wikakaru »

Yesterday I hauled my Typhoon for the summer. Here are two time-lapse videos I made that show dropping the mast. Please go easy on me about the video quality; these are some of the first time lapse videos I've ever made.

Side view: https://photos.app.goo.gl/qq82mXZxe1BoALhE6
Bow view: https://photos.app.goo.gl/NdXG9mKLbspyMmEz5

Maybe the videos will be helpful to people who aren't sure about dropping the mast by hand. It is a pretty easy process:
  • Tie the jib halyard to a line that runs through a block on the stem head fitting and back to a winch.
  • Make sure the other end of the jib halyard is cleated to the mast, not to the deck.
  • Take up the slack using the winch so the mast is supported by the halyard instead of the forestay.
  • Loosen the forestay turnbuckle (I always do it 7 full turns so I remember how much to tighten it next year).
  • Remove the forestay clevis pin so the forestay is loose and the halyard is taking the load.
  • Get in positions to drop the mast: strong person standing in the cockpit who will catch the mast, less-strong person operating the winch.
  • The person on the winch slowly eases out on the line, and the mast tips back; the catcher grabs it as it starts to tilt and walks astern.
  • When the mast is below a 40-45% angle, the halyard doesn't do much and all the weight it on the catcher.
  • The wincher goes to the mast base and guides the mast backwards out of the tabernacle slot while the catcher holds the weight. The person at the base of the mast may have to push downward to keep the mast base from popping up when it comes out of the tabernacle because the mast is slightly top-heavy when held at the spreaders.
  • Walk the mast forward to its storage position, being careful not so snag any of the shrouds on any deck fittings.
Voila!

Smooth sailing,

Jim
mgphl52

Re: Videos: Dropping the mast on a Cape Dory Typhoon

Post by mgphl52 »

On my previous Ty Weekender, I had a 4-to-1 purchase boom vang with a long tail. Using that between the jib halyard and jib tack shackle, I would lower and raise the mast by myself. (Note: That was over 20 years ago and I was probably a bit stronger...)
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

We use the genoa winch for our mechanical advantage instead of a block and tackle, but I think the basic idea is the same.

I hope to make a video of us using an A-frame to raise the mast on our CD22 in a couple of weeks. To me the A-frame is a better system, because it keeps the mast from swaying, and you really can do it with just one person. The Typhoon mast is just so light and easy that simple manpower, with the halyard as a safety backup, is plenty for us.

Smooth sailing,

Jim
wikakaru

Post by wikakaru »

Here's the same video trimmed down to show just the attaching of the guy line and the dropping of the mast, slowed down to 2fps, and rendered in 2160p resolution (though I think Google Photos must have compressed it, because it doesn't look as clear when I download it as when I run the original video on my PC). Anyway, I hope this makes it easier for people to see what is going on.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VYDJP6BAoAJfERscA

Smooth sailing,

Jim
Brimag

Post by Brimag »

No dropping the mast!! Riggers lower or unstep them. Have dropped a mast in a previous life, it's not pretty!! We use a A frame from trailer winch to spin halyard.Works like a charm. There's a discussion about this is a previous post under A frame. Brian