extend engine access

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

arch007

extend engine access

Post by arch007 »

I want to get access to the top of the engine for a cd28.

So I was thinking of cutting a square hole next to the sink on the companionway. I
Would cover the hole with a piece of strong plastic.

But there is this very nice piece of wood in the way. I would like to preserve it. Does anyone
Know how it is attached ? Picture attached.

Would appreciate any comments as one worry I have is that this would weaken the companionway
Structure.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

Re: extend engine access

Post by sgbernd »

I know the nice board, which I will call the landing, is screwed and then plugged. If you look carefully, you will see the plugs which could be removed.

I don't know if tit is merely screwed or if it is also glued, because if so, removing the screws will still make it hard to remove non-destructively.

Next you will need to cut thru the plywood below the landing and make some sort of door or hatch.

Question: Why do you want to do this? Mine had the MD7B and I found adequate clearance to remove the valve cover, exhaust manifold, set the valve lash, remove the head to grind the valves, service injectors, etc. For me, the real challenge was access to the back with the water pump which was nearly impossible. But opening up the top isn't going to help much as you still won't be able to reach it and remove the impellor or insert the screws.

-steve
arch007

Re: extend engine access

Post by arch007 »

I actually installed a Bomar access hatch in the cockpit so accessto the rear of the engine
Is easy.

I recommend it.

I cannot get access to the engine wiring harness and the hose from the coolant system.

Access from the top would make it easy to debug wiring harness and change hoses.

If it does not weaken structure.

I have a bwtamarine 14.